These baked chicken drumsticks are marinated in a mixture of olive oil, lemon, garlic and herbs, then baked to golden brown perfection. An easy dinner option that’s full of flavor and kid friendly too!
I love the kind of dinner where you can just stick a pan in the oven and walk away, it’s so much easier than a stove top dinner that requires more attention (and stirring!). When I need to have dinner on the table without a whole lot of fuss, I often turn to salmon foil packets, bacon wrapped chicken and these baked chicken drumsticks.
We eat a LOT of chicken breast around here, and once in a while I feel the need to change things up a bit! When I’m looking for something familiar that the kids will happily eat, I often turn to chicken drumsticks. Drumsticks are inexpensive, readily available and my kids love them. These baked chicken drumsticks are marinated, then roasted until golden brown. It’s a dinner option that both the kids and adults will enjoy!
How do you make baked chicken drumsticks?
This recipe starts with a simple marinade which is made with garlic, olive oil, herbs, seasonings and lemon juice. The chicken drumsticks need to marinate for at least 2 hours, but you can marinate them for up to 24 hours if you have the time. The chicken goes onto a sheet pan and roasts until the skin is golden brown and the meat is tender and juicy.
Tips for baked chicken drumsticks
- I use dried Italian seasoning in the marinade which can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores. If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can mix together equal parts of dried parsley, basil and oregano for a similar flavor.
- Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice, not the stuff in a bottle.
- Periodically check on your chicken as it cooks – you want the skin to brown, but you don’t want the garlic and herbs on the outside to burn. If the garlic and herbs are getting overly dark, you can lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees.
How long does it take for chicken drumsticks to bake?
It takes approximately 40 minutes for chicken drumsticks to bake in a 400 degree oven. If your drumsticks are on the larger side, you may need to increase the baking time to 45-50 minutes.
Baked Chicken Drumstick Variations
This is an Italian style marinade, but you can switch up the flavors to make this recipe your own.
- Greek: Use 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1 teaspoon dried rosemary instead of the Italian seasoning.
- Mexican: Use lime juice instead of lemon juice and substitute 1 tablespoon of chili powder for the Italian seasoning.
- Asian: Combine the olive oil with 1/3 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 teaspoon minced ginger and 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
What to serve with baked chicken drumsticks
I often serve my chicken drumsticks over mashed potatoes or rice, and I always include a vegetable on the side! Here are some of my favorite dishes to pair with baked drumsticks.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Rice-A-Roni
- Bacon Green Bean Bundles
- Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Maple Sweet Potatoes
I make these drumsticks almost every week because they’re a simple yet satisfying option with minimal prep work. You know it’s a good recipe when even the kids will happily eat it!
Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Garlic and Herbs
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- cooking spray
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in the bowl and coat them in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange the drumsticks in a single layer on the sheet pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.