These baked buffalo wings are ultra crispy chicken wings tossed in a classic spicy sauce and served with ranch dressing. Snack away with less guilt!
Buffalo wings are a perennial favorite, they’re perfect for parties, game day, or just when you have a hankering for a hearty snack. These buffalo wings are baked instead of fried, but are just as crispy and delicious as what you’d order at a restaurant.
I absolutely love chicken wings, especially when they’re extra crispy. When I see buffalo wings on the menu at restaurants, I can’t resist! As much as I love wings, I hate the idea of frying them – so much mess and so many calories! These baked buffalo wings are my own version that are baked instead of fried, yet still come out plenty crispy. Serve them with ranch for dipping, and you’ve got an awesome snack or meal with less fat and calories.
How do you make baked buffalo wings?
The secret to crispy wings without a lot of oil is baking powder. It sounds strange, but coating the chicken wings in baking powder and seasonings will help the skin crisp up nicely. You won’t taste the baking powder in the final product. Be sure to use baking POWDER, not baking SODA, there is a big difference between the two!
After the wings are coated in baking powder and spices, they go on a rack to bake. It’s important to make baked buffalo wings on a rack so that the fat can drain off and the wings will be crispy on all sides.
How long does it take to bake chicken wings?
Chicken wings take about 45 minutes to bake. It may seem like a long time, but it’s important to render out the fat from the chicken wings so that the skin can crisp up.
How do you make buffalo sauce?
To complete these baked buffalo wings, we need to toss them in buffalo sauce. Buffalo sauce is made with Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, butter and a little honey. It’s that simple! The wings are coated in the spicy sauce, and then are ready to be served.
I love that I can have one of my favorite restaurant indulgences at home for less effort (and less calories!). My husband also loves these wings, and if I’m serving them as a meal I set some aside without the sauce so that my spice-hating kids can also enjoy some crispy chicken delights. A winning situation all around!
More amazing appetizer ideas
Baked Buffalo Wings Video
Baked Buffalo Wings
- 3 pounds party style chicken wings or whole chicken wings that have been halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon baking powder do NOT use baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup hot sauce such as Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- celery sticks and ranch dressing for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and place a non stick oven safe rack on top of the pan.
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl. Add the baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Toss to coat the chicken evenly with the baking powder and spices.
- Place the wings on the rack in a single layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until wings are light golden brown and crispy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, butter and honey.
- Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve with celery sticks and ranch dressing.
This post was originally published on August 31, 2016 and was updated with new content on June 13, 2018.