These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are perfectly creamy, full of flavor and are so easy to make! Pressure cooker mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for an everyday meal or for a special holiday dinner.
I always use my Instant Pot to make mashed potatoes, it’s a one pot dish that’s always a huge hit with both kids and adults. Serve these mashed potatoes alongside a roasted chicken and some glazed carrots for a complete meal. Take a look at my list of 16 Instant Pot Recipes for some more great ways to use this kitchen device!
If you’ve never made mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot before, you’re missing out! The potatoes come out perfectly creamy every time and you can mash them directly in the Instant Pot, so no extra dirty dishes to clean.
How do you make Instant Pot mashed potatoes?
The first step is to peel and chop your potatoes. You can leave your potato pieces on the larger side. The potatoes go into the pressure cooker along with salt and water. I cook my potatoes on manual pressure and it takes just 10 minutes until they’re tender and ready to be mashed.
I keep things simple and mash my potatoes with some milk, butter, salt and pepper. That being said, there are so many different ways to customize your mashed potatoes.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Variations
- Cream Cheese Potatoes: Add 3 ounces of cream cheese to the recipe
- Cheddar Bacon Potatoes: Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- Roasted Garlic Potatoes: Add 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup parsley
- Bacon Ranch Potatoes: Add 2 tablespoons ranch powder, 1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon and 3/4 cup shredded cheese
How do you mash potatoes?
The easiest way to mash potatoes is with a potato masher. If you want super smooth potatoes, you can also try using a potato ricer. Another alternative is you can beat your potatoes with a hand mixer. Just be sure not to put your potatoes in the food processor – if you try it that way, you’ll end up with gluey potatoes that aren’t pleasant to eat.
What is the best potato for mashed potatoes?
I use Russet potatoes in this recipe, which in my opinion, is the best potato for mashed potatoes. You can also use Yukon Gold potatoes with good results. I wouldn’t recommend using other varieties of potatoes like red potatoes because they are waxier and can turn pasty when mashed.
Instant Pot mashed potatoes are the perfect addition to any holiday meal, primarily because they don’t take up any oven or stove top space, leaving you plenty of room to make your turkey, sides and desserts. These potatoes are on our table every Thanksgiving and they always get rave reviews!
More easy side dishes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk heavy cream or half and half can also be used
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives optional
- butter for serving optional
- Place the potatoes, water and salt in an Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to seal, then set the Instant Pot for manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, release the pressure by turning the valve to vent.
- Add the milk, butter and pepper to the Instant Pot. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to desired consistency. You can add more milk if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
- Alternatively, you can transfer the contents of the Instant Pot to a mixer to whip your potatoes.
- Taste your potatoes and add more salt if needed.
- Spoon the potatoes into a serving bowl. Top with additional pats of butter and sliced chives if desired.