This recipe for baked chicken breast is tender chicken coated with a homemade spice mixture, then baked at high heat until tender, juicy and golden brown. A super easy way to cook chicken breasts with perfect results every time!
Chicken breasts are so versatile to cook with – they’re lean, inexpensive and pair well with so many different flavors. One of the easiest ways to prepare this cut of meat is by making baked chicken breast. With just 5 minutes of prep time required, it’s as quick as it is delicious!
How do you make baked chicken breast?
This recipe starts with a spice blend that consists of brown sugar, salt, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Brush the chicken breasts with melted butter, then rub the seasoning onto both sides of the chicken. Place the chicken in a pan, then bake until the chicken is cooked through. Add a sprinkle of fresh parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect chicken breasts
- Choose chicken breasts that are approximately the same size so that they cook at the same rate.
- Avoid using chicken breasts that are overly thick, as they will take a lot longer to cook through and will be more prone to drying out.
- You can double or even triple the spice blend and store it for later use.
- Olive oil may be substituted for the butter.
- This technique also works well with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- You can add some vegetables to the pan to cook along with the chicken. Some of our favorites include carrots, broccoli, asparagus and zucchini.
How long does it take to bake chicken breasts?
This recipe utilizes a high heat cooking method. Cooking the chicken at a higher heat means it will cook through more quickly and be less likely to get dry in the oven. A standard chicken breast around 4 ounces in size will bake for 18-20 minutes at 425 degrees F.
Baked chicken breast variations
This is a basic recipe for baked chicken, but you can add other herbs and spices to the mix to customize this dish to your tastes.
- Mexican Chicken: Omit the Italian seasoning. Add 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Italian Chicken: Leave out the brown sugar and smoked paprika. Add 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice.
- Moroccan Chicken: Omit the Italian seasoning. Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
How do you keep chicken breast juicy?
The best way to keep your chicken from drying out is to add a little fat to it (melted butter in this case), and cook it at high heat. It’s also important not to overcook your chicken. Keep a close eye on the chicken, and remove it from the oven as soon as it is done. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before you cut into it, this will allow for the juices to redistribute into the chicken.
How do you know when chicken is done?
You can tell when your chicken is done by either cutting into it, or using a meat thermometer. If you cut into the chicken, there should be no pink remaining and the juices should run clear. The most accurate way to tell if your chicken is done is to use a thermometer. Insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast. The temperature should be at least 165 degrees F to be considered safe to eat.
This baked chicken breast is my go-to for busy nights when I don’t have a lot of time to stand around in the kitchen and work on dinner prep. It also happens to be totally delicious!
More delicious chicken recipes
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks
- Coconut Chicken
- Cornflake Chicken
- Korean Fried Chicken
Baked Chicken Breast Video
Baked Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 4-5 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brush the butter all over both sides of the chicken.
- Place the brown sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Bake the chicken for 18-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into a chicken breast registers at least 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.