This agua fresca recipe is a basic formula to produce a perfect Mexican style fruit drink every time! Use watermelon, strawberries, pineapple, peaches, kiwis or even cucumber for a light and refreshing beverage that’s great for parties.
Whenever I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant, I order the agua fresca of the day. These fruit based drinks are totally delicious, and can be made in so many different flavors!
What is agua fresca?
Agua fresca is a non alcoholic drink that’s made by blending fruit, seeds, grains or flowers with water and sugar. This type of drink is popular in Mexico, as well as in Central America and the United States. I typically find this drink sold in Mexican restaurants and markets. While this drink comes in every flavor from pineapple to hibiscus flower, I’m focusing on the fruit based drinks with this particular recipe.
How do you make agua fresca?
Start by blending together fruit, water, lime juice and sugar in a blender. Pour the mixture through a strainer to remove any remaining chunks of fruit. Pour the drink into a pitcher or into individual glasses. Garnish with lime slices and fresh mint sprigs if desired, then serve.
Tips for the perfect drink
- I recommend using a high powered blender for the smoothest drink.
- You can use one type of fruit, or a blend of different fruits.
- I recommend using your judgement when it comes to the amount of sugar you use for your drink. If you’re using a fruit that’s on the sweeter side, such as watermelon or pineapple, it won’t need as much sugar. Something like cucumber or a tart fruit such as kiwi will require a little more sweetener.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best results.
- Agua fresca can be made up to 3 days before you plan to serve it. The drink may separate when stored in the fridge, so give it a good stir right before serving.
- I recommend chilling your drink before you serve it, that way you won’t need to add a lot of ice which can dilute the flavor.
I typically see agua fresca made with pineapple or strawberries, but there are endless flavor combinations you can try!
- Melon: Use a single variety, or a blend of different melons such as watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew.
- Tropical: Try a blend of pineapple, mango and papaya for an island-inspired flavor.
- Berry: Mix things up with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or even cherries.
- Cucumber: While cucumber may seem like an untraditional choice, it’s super refreshing, especially when paired with fresh mint.
- Spicy: Use a blend of mango with a chili pepper such as jalapeno, or use a habanero for a big kick!
- Citrus: Try a mix of citrus fruits such as orange and grapefruit.
Is agua fresca good for you?
Agua fresca is typically low in calories, since it primarily consists of fruit and water. The sugar does add extra calories, but if you’re looking to make this drink a bit healthier, you could try using honey or agave in lieu of regular granulated sugar. Generally speaking, this beverage can easily fit into a healthy diet.
I make this drink all summer long with whatever fruit is available, and it’s always a crowd pleaser!
More drink recipes to try
Agua Fresca Video
Agua Fresca Recipe
- 4 cups diced fruit such as strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, mango or kiwi.
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup sugar or more to taste
- 4 cups water divided use
- Optional garnishes: mint sprigs, lime slices, fruit slices
- Place the fruit, lime juice, sugar and 2 cups of the water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Strain the fruit mixture into a pitcher and discard solids. Add the remaining water to the pitcher and stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with mint, lime and fresh fruit if desired.