This winter fruit salad recipe is a colorful variety of fresh fruit tossed in a light honey poppy seed dressing. The perfect side dish for brunch or a holiday meal!
It’s that time of the year when all the berries and melons disappear from the grocery store, and what’s left is apples, apples and more apples. Oh, and a few oranges and bananas too. This winter fruit salad takes the best of the season and turns it into a light and refreshing side dish that’s packed with color and flavor.
How to make winter fruit salad
For this recipe, you’re going to need mandarin oranges, pineapple, kiwi and pomegranates. These are all fruits that are readily available during the winter and they’re a nice change from the standard apples and bananas. The fruit is tossed in a light dressing made from citrus juice, honey and poppy seeds.
You can buy pomegranate seeds that are ready to eat, or get a whole pomegranate and remove the seeds yourself. I typically use those little mandarin oranges that come in mesh bags at the grocery store, but any tangerine variety will also work, so long as it’s seedless.
I garnish my winter fruit salad with a handful of fresh mint leaves, but that’s an optional step. If you like that burst of fresh minty flavor, add them, if not, it’s still an amazingly delicious salad without the hint of mint.
This salad can be made up to 2 hours before you plan to serve it; simply store it covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to go.
What I love about this salad is that it’s unexpected, yet full of vibrant flavors and colors that can bring a little cheer to even the dullest of winter days!
More fruit recipes
- Tropical Fruit Salad
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips
- Chocolate Fruit Dip
- Fruit Kabobs
- Mexican Fruit Salad
Winter Fruit Salad Video
Winter Fruit Salad
- 3 cups of cubed pineapple
- 1 cup of peeled, quartered and sliced kiwis
- 2 cups of mandarin orange or clementine segments
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Optional garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Place the pineapple, kiwi, mandarin oranges and pomegranate arils in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, honey and poppy seeds.
- Pour the poppy seed dressing over the fruit and toss gently to coat.
- Garnish with mint leaves if desired.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Bear Creek Soup Mixes. This post was originally published on January 17, 2017 and was updated on November 1, 2017 with new content.