This Spanish chicken is spiced chicken thighs roasted with potatoes, bell peppers and chorizo. A simple and satisfying one pan meal that tastes like it came from a fancy restaurant!
I’m all about sheet pan meals, my family’s favorites include balsamic chicken, bacon wrapped chicken breast and this zesty Spanish inspired dinner.
This is not your ordinary meal of chicken and potatoes! This Spanish chicken features a homemade spice blend and plenty of smoky chorizo sausage. Add some bell peppers to the mix and you’ve got a complete meal on one pan with minimal cleanup at the end of the night.
How do you make Spanish chicken?
This recipe starts with making a Spanish spice blend which you rub on chicken thighs. Arrange the chicken thighs on a sheet pan with potatoes. The chicken and potatoes go into the oven for 25 minutes. Next, add strips of bell pepper to the sheet pan and bake everything for 10 minutes. Finally, place sliced Spanish chorizo sausage on the sheet pan and bake for 10 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Add a sprinkle of parsley, then serve!
Spanish spice blend
This blend of Spanish spices brings out the flavor of the chicken with herbaceous notes and smoky richness. This blend starts with a base of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and dried oregano. There are two additional spices that really bring this dish to the next level, cumin and smoked paprika. I often make a double batch of the spice blend and save some for later to sprinkle over fish, vegetables and steak.
Tips for Spanish chicken
- I like bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe because they stay moist in the oven. However, you can use bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts or drumsticks if you prefer.
- I use Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, but you can also use small red potatoes or regular Russet potatoes cut in 1 inch cubes.
- Use Spanish chorizo if you can find it. Spanish chorizo is a hard dried sausage that is found in the deli section of most grocery stores, don’t confuse it with the fresh Mexican chorizo! If you can’t find chorizo, use a smoked sausage such as kielbasa.
Spanish chicken variations
While this recipe is delicious as-is, you can add other ingredients to customize it to your tastes.
- Low Carb: Swap out the potatoes for cauliflower florets.
- Vegetables: Other vegetables can be substituted for the bell pepper such as broccoli, zucchini or asparagus.
- Flavorings: Feel free to add other flavorings to this dish such as olives, minced garlic or finish your dish with some shavings of Spanish Manchego cheese.
You can never go wrong with a sheet pan meal, and this Spanish version is full of bold flavors. The Spanish chorizo really makes this meal taste authentic, this one is sure to become part of your regular dinner rotation.
More great chicken dinners
- Braised Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes
- Hawaiian Chicken
- Smoked Chicken
- Italian Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs
For the spice blend
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Spanish chicken
- 6 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 1 pound small Yukon gold potatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers cored, seeded and cut into 2 inch strips
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in the spice blend in a small bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Rub the spice blend all over the chicken thighs. Arrange the chicken on the sheet pan.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat the potatoes.
- Scatter the potatoes around the chicken thighs.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Add the red peppers to the sheet pan.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Add the chorizo to the sheet pan.
- Bake for 10 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
It’s already cold here so this was a very good hearty meal! The flavors were just perfect!
Wonderful meal, got rave reviews from the family. I made a bravas sauce on the side, and it took it to another level. Thanks for a great recipe, this will be a regular on our table.
Delicious! Could not find spanish chorizo and used Kalebasa as suggested…turned out great!
I made it for company and it was really yummy! Looked like I worked but it was easy! I lined the pan with foil for easy clean up
I made this for our friends who were headed to Spain and we loved this dish!
Mm! I love the spice mix, fun and different from what we usually eat!
This is such a great way to change up your normal chicken routine. So full of flavor and easy clean up too!
What is it about smoked paprika that makes it so yummy? Love this dish!
Love the light seasoning on this chicken – healthy but so flavorful!
I love all the spices you combined together to coat this chicken. It is delicious!
All the flavor in this dish is so amazing and delicious.
This had so much flavor! It was a huge hit!
Yum, the spices on here are perfect, so yummy!
Love this chicken recipe- SO GOOD!
So delicious, the whole family loved it! Tasted like it took more work than it did.