This Italian chicken is coated in a crispy parmesan crust and baked to perfection along with potatoes. An easy sheet pan dinner that the whole family will love!
Chicken. It’s what’s for dinner so many nights of the week at my house. I love this Italian chicken because it has minimal prep work, tastes great, and you can even throw potatoes and/or veggies in the oven at the same time for a one pan meal.
How do you make Italian chicken?
This recipe starts with the coating for the chicken, which consists of breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic and herbs. Everything gets combined together for a flavorful mix that will crisp up nicely in the oven. Don’t use the canned parmesan cheese here, the better the quality of the cheese, the better your meal will taste.
Italian seasoning can be found in the spice aisle of most grocery stores and is a mixture of dried basil, oregano and parsley. If you don’t have Italian seasoning on hand, you can combine the herbs you already have in your pantry to make your own.
The tops of the chicken breasts get dipped in melted butter before the chicken is rolled in the breadcrumb mixture. The butter helps everything to adhere and adds a lot of flavor.
Next up is the potatoes, which are drizzled with the remaining melted butter and added to the sheet pan. Not into potatoes? Try butternut squash, carrots or brussels sprouts instead.
Everything goes into the oven and bakes until the chicken is crispy and golden brown, and the potatoes are tender. You can use halved baby potatoes, or regular sized potatoes that have been cut into 1 inch pieces. Just be aware that you want everything to be cooked through at the same time, so if you use larger pieces of potatoes, they may not be done at the same time as the chicken.
How long do you cook Italian chicken in the oven?
These chicken breasts need to cook for about 25-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Italian chicken variations
You can easily customize this dish to your taste preferences, there are so many different ways to dress up your chicken!
- Breadcrumbs: Try coarser panko breadcrumbs instead of traditional breadcrumbs.
- Crispy Ranch Chicken: Add 2 tablespoons of ranch seasoning powder to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Potatoes: Try sweet potatoes instead of gold potatoes.
This is a very simple dinner, but a satisfying one. It’s one of those meals I turn to when I have a package of chicken in the fridge but am otherwise out of ideas. I love that it’s mostly hands off, simply pop your sheet pan into the oven and go about your evening until it’s time to eat!
More easy chicken dinners
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 pound small potatoes halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- lemon wedges optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Dip the top of each chicken breast into the melted butter, then press the top of the chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
- Place the chicken breasts on the prepared sheet pan.
- Scatter the potatoes around the chicken. Drizzle the remaining butter over the potatoes and chicken. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender. Cook time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve. Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.