This recipe for one pot braised chicken thighs with carrots and potatoes combines seared chicken and tender vegetables in a single dish that makes for an easy and healthy dinner.
A complete meal with protein, starch and veggie all in one pot? That’s my idea of the perfect dinner!
I do a lot of one pot cooking. Why is that? The main reason is that by the time I’m done cooking dinner and everyone has finished eating the kitchen is a disaster. At the end of the day the last thing I want to do is spend an hour cleaning the kitchen. So the less dishes, the better. Which is why I turn to recipes like this one pot braised chicken thighs with carrots and potatoes.
Does this recipe sound boring? It sounded a little dull to me when I first pinned it, but I was looking for a way to use up a bag of potatoes that was languishing in the pantry so I decided to give it a try. I’ve made it multiple times since then, although it’s a simple dish the flavors really come together in a way that makes it special and worthy of being on the permanent recipe rotation.
How do you make braised chicken thighs?
For this recipe chicken thighs are browned and then braised in the oven with red onion, carrots, yukon gold potatoes and thyme. The braising liquid is chicken stock and white wine mixed with some smoked paprika and flour. The flour thickens the sauce as it bakes which creates a slightly smoky tasting gravy that makes this dish stand out from the rest. The potatoes take on a creamy texture from being slow cooked in the braising liquid.
My kids are not huge fans of potatoes unless they’re in the form of a french fry, but they give the potatoes in this dish a thumbs up! You can serve this up as a complete meal by itself or add a simple side like a green salad or some crusty bread for more substantial appetites. Looking to dress it up? Use miniature potatoes and use pearl onions in lieu of the red onion. Kids don’t like carrots? Try butternut squash instead. Gluten free? Substitute a gluten free flour for wheat flour. Don’t want to spend the night in the kitchen doing 56 dishes? Yeah, me neither.
More chicken recipes you’ll love
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Santa Fe
- Pineapple Chicken
One Pot Braised Chicken Thighs with Carrots and Potatoes
- 4 large bone in skin on chicken thighs fat trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 5 yukon gold potatoes cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour can substitute whole wheat flour or gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and cook until brown, about 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and stir. Add the potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to coat. Add the white wine, simmer until the wine has cooked off. Add the chicken stock and smoked paprika. Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through. Mix in the thyme. Taste and adjust the seasoning.