This recipe for Tuscan kale salad is full of kale, grilled chicken, avocado, tomatoes, almonds and feta cheese, all tossed in a simple lemon dressing. An easy and healthy meal!
When I’m looking to eat a little healthier, I whip up a big salad such as Mediterranean farro salad, brussels sprout salad or this fabulous kale salad.
Lately I have really cleaned up my eating – gone are the sweet treats and processed foods. I’ve been primarily eating fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and lean proteins. And you know what? Not only have I discovered some delicious flavor combinations, but I’ve also found that my energy levels are through the roof! I’ve been eating a lot of salads including Mexican Caesar salad, and have been looking for new ways to spice them up, like this Tuscan kale salad.
The last time I was at the grocery store, instead of reaching for my usual bag of mixed greens I spied some nice looking bunches of kale, which is how this Tuscan kale salad was born. I tossed the kale in a lemon dressing and added some great toppings like grilled chicken, garden tomatoes and my favorite Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds.
I love a variety of textures and flavors on my Tuscan kale salad, so I paired chopped Blue Diamond Almonds with chicken, crumbled feta cheese, avocado and some tomatoes that I picked up at the farmer’s market.
How do you make Tuscan kale salad?
The base of this salad is Tuscan kale, which is also known as dinosaur or lacinato kale. The kale is torn into pieces and tossed in a lemon and olive oil mixture. I like to use my hands to massage the kale for a few minutes after it’s dressed; that helps to make the kale leaves more tender and it soaks up more of the dressing for extra flavor. I reserve some of the dressing to drizzle over the top at the end.
This Tuscan kale salad is full of color, nutrition and is just plain fun to eat with all of the colors and textures! I use Blue Diamond Almonds to fuel my healthy lifestyle through salads and snacks. I’m following my “Lane to Greatness” by making nutritious food choices and also upping my exercise game. Regardless of your fitness goals, this salad is a delicious way to get in your veggies.
Still hungry? Follow Dinner at the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
More easy salad recipes
Tuscan Kale Salad
- 4 cups tuscan kale ribs removed and cut into small pieces, also known as lacinato or dinosaur kale
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of tomatoes chopped if large or cut into quarters if small
- 1/2 of an avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of olive oil with lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and pour 3/4 of the dressing over the kale. Toss to coat well.
- Using your hands, massage the kale for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until done - cook time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of the kale.
- Arrange the tomatoes, avocado, almonds and feta cheese on top of the kale. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds.
This salad was delicious! I loved all the textures along with the crunchy nuts!
Am loving your use of Blue Diamond Almonds in this salad – such a delicious texture and taste component!
So beautifully photographed and it looks absolutely delicious! Perfect summer dinner.
Delicious looking salad. Love that you added the kale.
Amazing combinations to this lovely salad. I love salad as my Dinner option.
what a hearty and filling salad – This makes a perfect summer meal and with all the protein, it is healthy too. Definitely one to add to the summer repertoire.
You could convince everyone on the planet to switch to healthy eating with this beautiful salad recipe, Sara. It’s the perfect example of how good food is delicious, too. Absolutely love it!
Good looking healthy salad. My wife and I are trying to eat more kale so will give it a try.
I love this easy healthy salad filled with yummy chicken, kale and almonds!
Almonds are amazing, I put them in everything from breakfast to dessert, love love love them! Your salad is just the thing I need after a long hot day, pinning and sharing!
What a beautiful healthy salad! I use almonds in my salads all the time for that extra good crunch!
This is so beautiful and has all my favorites including the almonds! It is amazing how much better I feel when I eat right and focus on whole foods. Thanks for the lovely recipe!
Looks like a perfect summer meal! It is amazing how great you can feel when you eat right!
That salad looks amazing. I don’t usually have salad for a meal, but that looks like a great meal!
Absolutely perfect salad! What a great combination of ingredients and love the addition of nuts 🙂