This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds.
This recipe for tuscan kale salad is full of kale, grilled chicken, avocado, tomatoes, almonds and feta cheese, all tossed in a simple lemon dressing. An easy and healthy meal!
Lately I have really cleaned up my eating – gone are the sweet treats and processed foods. I’ve been primarily eating fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and lean proteins. And you know what? Not only have I discovered some delicious flavor combinations, but I’ve also found that my energy levels are through the roof! I’ve been eating a lot of salads and have been looking for new ways to spice them up. The last time I was at the grocery store, instead of reaching for my usual bag of mixed greens I spied some nice looking bunches of kale, which is how this Tuscan kale salad was born. I tossed the kale in a lemon dressing and added some great toppings like grilled chicken, garden tomatoes and my favorite Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds.
Blue Diamond Almonds is helping to fuel the USA Swim Team, in fact, they’re the official snack nut for the organization! You definitely need to check out their website for awesome recipes, coupons and a chance to win $5,000. I love a variety of textures and flavors on my Tuscan kale salad, so I paired chopped Blue Diamond Almonds with chicken, crumbled feta cheese, avocado and some tomatoes that I picked up at the farmer’s market.
The base of this salad is Tuscan kale, which is also known as dinosaur or lacinato kale. The kale is torn into pieces and tossed in a lemon and olive oil mixture. I like to use my hands to massage the kale for a few minutes after it’s dressed; that helps to make the kale leaves more tender and it soaks up more of the dressing for extra flavor. I reserve some of the dressing to drizzle over the top at the end.
This Tuscan kale salad is full of color, nutrition and is just plain fun to eat with all of the colors and textures! I use Blue Diamond Almonds to fuel my healthy lifestyle through salads and snacks. I’m following my “Lane to Greatness” by making nutritious food choices and also upping my exercise game. Regardless of your fitness goals, this salad is a delicious way to get in your veggies.
Tuscan Kale Salad
- 4 cups tuscan kale ribs removed and cut into small pieces, also known as lacinato or dinosaur kale
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups of tomatoes chopped if large or cut into quarters if small
- 1/2 of an avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of olive oil with lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and pour 3/4 of the dressing over the kale. Toss to coat well.
- Using your hands, massage the kale for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until done - cook time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of the kale.
- Arrange the tomatoes, avocado, almonds and feta cheese on top of the kale. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.