This prosciutto wrapped asparagus is fresh asparagus stalks flavored with savory prosciutto, then broiled to crispy perfection. A 4 ingredient appetizer or side dish that’s easy, yet elegant and always gets rave reviews.
When I’m looking for a simple party snack, I turn to favorites such as mini pizzas, little smokies, or this fancy looking prosciutto wrapped asparagus. No one has to know how quick it is to make!
Prosciutto wrapped asparagus may be my all time favorite way to enjoy this spring veggie. The tender and juicy asparagus pairs so well with the meat, and you can have the whole recipe done in about 15 minutes. How can you go wrong with that?
How do you make prosciutto wrapped asparagus?
Place your asparagus stalks on a sheet pan, and drizzle olive oil over the top. Cut slices of prosciutto in half lengthwise, then wrap a strip of prosciutto around each piece of asparagus. Season the asparagus with black pepper, then place the pan in the oven. Broil until the asparagus is tender, then serve and enjoy.
HOW DO YOU TRIM ASPARAGUS?
The thicker bottom of asparagus stalks tends to be tough and woody, and isn’t great to eat. The best way to figure out where to trim your asparagus is to take a stalk and gently bend it. Wherever the stalk snaps is the spot where the tender part starts and the tougher part ends. From there, you can line up all your asparagus stalks and trim the bottom off in the same spot as where your original piece of asparagus snapped in half.
Tips for the perfect prosciutto wrapped asparagus
- It’s best to use medium sized asparagus stalks for this recipe. The really thin ones won’t hold up to broiling and if you use thick asparagus it may not cook all the way through before the prosciutto is done.
- While I find that it’s easiest to make this dish in the oven, you can grill or pan saute your asparagus if you prefer.
- This asparagus is best served hot from the oven while the meat is still crispy. Leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat any leftovers in the oven or in a toaster oven until warmed through.
- Prosciutto is a type of cured ham from Italy. It can be purchased in the deli section of most grocery stores, and typically comes pre-cut into thin slices.
- There’s no need to add any salt to the asparagus, as the cured meat provides plenty of salty flavor.
While this snack is delicious as-is, feel free to customize the ingredients to your tastes.
- Veggies: Instead of asparagus, try using bundles of green beans or zucchini spears.
- Seasonings: Sprinkle some spices over your asparagus such as smoked paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning or onion powder.
- Cheese: Add a little finely grated cheese to the finished dish such as parmesan or extra sharp white cheddar.
- Herbs: Garnish your asparagus with fresh chopped herbs including parsley, dill, basil or chives.
How to serve prosciutto wrapped asparagus
This asparagus makes a great appetizer or side dish. You can serve the asparagus as a snack on its own, or add a creamy dip on the side such as a garlic aioli. I also like to offer this recipe as a side dish, as it pairs perfectly with seafood and chicken.
You simply cannot go wrong with this one, it’s a must try recipe in my opinion!
More asparagus recipes you’ll love
- Asparagus Foil Packets
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- Salmon Asparagus Foil Packets
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Video
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- 12 stalks fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices prosciutto very thinly sliced
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the broiler. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- Place the asparagus in a single layer on the sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat evenly.
- Cut each slice of prosciutto in half cross wise. Wrap the pieces of prosciutto around each stalk of asparagus.
- Season the asparagus to taste with black pepper.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes on each side until asparagus is cooked though and prosciutto is crispy on the edges. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published on March 14, 2017 and was updated on June 24, 2020 with new content.
I made a meal of these! Wonderful combination.
The combination of prosciutto and asparagus was wonderful!
I took your suggestion of a sprinkle of cheese at the end and they were amazing!
Wow as this amazing! Loved it!
I love to serve these as an appetizer! They are so flavorful!
This quickly became a favorite at my house!! Everyone loved it!
So easy, elegant and delicious, it’s a favorite go-to for entertaining!
This is so amazing!!! One of the most-requested at my house lately!
I need to make this asap!! Looks AMAZING!
YUM!! This sounds amazing!! Can’t wait to try it!
This prosciutto wrapped asparagus needs to happen at my house very soon!!
My favorite is the Heritage, loving flowers and shades of blue! Your platter of appetizers is wonderfully arranged and looks delicious
What a gorgeous platter of food! I’d love to be your guest…they have so many great patterns but I love food on a white background. I’d go for the signature white Ruffled dishes! I’m tired of looking at plastic cartoon characters too! Lol
I like to think I’m classic rather than boring, but how stunning is the signature whiteware collection!? The asparagus sounds and looks amazing but I’m thinking any food on the plate wouldn’t last long in my crazy house of boys!
How to choose! I love the Ruffle on Earth Hues collection but I also think the Lima is gorgeous! And I’ll definitely be making this asparagus recipe soon. So simple!
Loving the limonta collection of dishes!
Ruffle in earth hues would be my choice. Really yummy appetizer plate.
Liking the nautical and beachside!
really like the diamond square
I love this platter and elegant appetizers! I’m a fan of white dishes as they are so versitile!
I forgot. Love the Heritage collection of dishes!