This recipe for grilled asparagus in foil is tender fresh asparagus stalks cooked in foil packets with butter, seasonings and herbs. Throw these foil packs on the grill or bake in the oven for an easy side dish!
Asparagus is a favorite vegetable in my house, even the kids will eat it! I love to grill asparagus during the warmer months, but I don’t love how the thin stalks slip through the grates of the grill and into the coals. Now I make grilled asparagus in foil – these packets take just minutes to put together and you end up with perfectly tender seasoned asparagus every time.
HOW DO YOU TRIM ASPARAGUS?
The thicker bottom of asparagus stalks tends to be tough and woody, and isn’t great to eat. The best way to figure out where to trim your asparagus is to take a stalk and gently bend it. Wherever the stalk snaps is the spot where the tender part starts and the tough part ends. From there, you can line up all your asparagus stalks and trim the bottom off in the same spot as where your original piece of asparagus snapped in half.
Can you cook asparagus on the grill?
Yes, you can cook asparagus on the grill. With the traditional method of grilling, you need to look for thick asparagus stalks so that they won’t fall through the grates of the grill. With this foil packet method, you can use any size asparagus you like, and there’s no risk of losing the stalks in the fire!
How do you make grilled asparagus?
Place asparagus stalks onto sheets of foil, then top the veggies with butter, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Fold the foil around the asparagus to create packets. Grill or bake the packets until the asparagus is tender. Top with chopped parsley, then serve and enjoy.
How long does it take to grill asparagus?
Grilled asparagus in a foil packet takes about 15 minutes to cook, depending on the size of your stalks. If you’re adding the asparagus directly to the grill without foil, it takes about 2-3 minutes per side to cook through.
What spices go well with asparagus?
I season this grilled asparagus with pats of butter, salt, pepper and dried Italian seasoning. Other great options would be garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme or lemon pepper. You can also use a variety of fresh herbs aside from parsley. Some great choices include fresh basil, dill, chives, green onions or cilantro.
How do you prepare asparagus in the oven?
While I typically make this asparagus in foil on the grill, there are times when it’s cold and I don’t want to cook outside. You can also bake your packets in the oven at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
After your asparagus packets are grilled or baked, it’s time to peel back the foil and serve. I like serve lemon wedges on the side, as a squeeze of lemon juice adds great flavor to this dish.
Grilled asparagus flavor variations
- Veggies: You can add other quick-cooking vegetables to these foil packets if you’re looking for a little variety. I recommend trying sliced zucchini, diced red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, thinly sliced red onions or even frozen corn kernels.
- Flavorings: Amp up the flavor by adding lemon zest, sun dried tomatoes, olives, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, cooked crumbled bacon, pine nuts or sliced almonds.
- Cheese: After the asparagus packets are cooked through, add a sprinkle of parmesan, feta or mozzarella cheese.
This grilled asparagus in foil is my go-to vegetable side dish when it’s hot out. If you’re an asparagus fan, you’ll definitely want to give this one a try.
More asparagus recipes
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Lemon Asparagus Pasta
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Grilled Asparagus Video
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- 1 pound asparagus stalks trimmed
- 8 teaspoons butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- lemon wedges for serving optional
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat or an oven to 425 degrees F.
- Coat 4 large squares of foil with cooking spray.
- Divide the asparagus stalks evenly among the squares of foil.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper evenly over the asparagus stalks.
- Place 2 teaspoons of butter in each asparagus packet.
- Fold the foil over the asparagus, sealing completely on all sides.
- Grill the asparagus packs for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Alternatively, you can bake the asparagus for 15 minutes.
- Open the foil packets carefully, then gently stir to make sure all the asparagus is coated with the butter and seasonings.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve, with lemon wedges if desired.
This post was originally published on May 8, 2018 and was updated on April 29, 2020 with new content.