This chicken and asparagus stir fry is chicken breast pieces and fresh asparagus, cooked to perfection and coated in a savory sauce. A light and healthy dinner that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
This asparagus stir fry is the best possible way to showcase this spring time veggie! Serve it over steamed rice for a complete meal.
It’s the time of the year where asparagus is inexpensive and prolific. We eat asparagus at least once a week in the spring, even my kids will readily devour it. This chicken and asparagus stir fry is fresh, healthy and uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in the house!
How to make chicken and asparagus stir fry
This stir fry starts with boneless skinless chicken breasts, which are cut into 1 inch pieces and sauteed to golden brown. Asparagus stalks are added to the pan, along with some garlic and ginger, then cooked until tender. The final step is a chicken broth and soy sauce based sauce, which is poured over the chicken and vegetables, then simmered until thickened.
How do you cook chicken for stir fry?
The most common way to cook chicken for stir fry is to saute it in oil over high heat. It’s important to make sure you don’t overcrowd you pan. The chicken should be in a single layer with a little space between each piece. If the chicken is too close together, it will steam rather than develop that golden brown crust you’re looking for. If you’re cooking a larger amount of chicken, you’ll want to work in batches to ensure the best results.
How to trim asparagus
When you buy a bunch of asparagus in the grocery store, the ends will need to be trimmed prior to using it in a recipe. The ends of asparagus stalks are woody and tough, and generally unpleasant to eat. The easiest way to trim your asparagus is to gently bend each stalk, and the woody part will snap right off. From there, you can use the trimmed stalks whole, or cut them into pieces as is called for in this recipe.
What sides go with stir fry?
My favorite way to serve stir fry is over steamed rice. I typically start a pot of rice at the same time that I start prepping my stir fry, that way everything is done at the same time. I also like to serve stir fry with quinoa, cauliflower rice, or Asian noodles like ramen, soba or chow mein noodles.
The next time you’re looking for dinner in a hurry, give this chicken and asparagus stir fry a try. Don’t have asparagus? Try it with broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini or bell peppers for a different yet equally delicious take!
More stir fry recipes
- Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry
Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb asparagus stalks trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken to the pan in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Add the asparagus to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and asparagus and bring to a simmer. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has thickened, then serve.