This pear salad recipe is mixed greens with fresh sliced pears, pomegranate seeds, blue cheese and candied pecans, all tossed in a homemade balsamic dressing. A fresh and colorful salad option that pairs perfectly with chicken, fish and pork.
You can never go wrong with a flavorful salad to accompany any meal, some of my favorites include kale salad, arugula salad, and this sweet and savory pear salad.
When the colder weather months roll around, I stock up on fresh pears. They come in all different colors, shapes and textures, and are totally delicious! This pear salad is one of my favorite ways to enjoy this juicy fruit, and it’s got the perfect blend of flavors.
How do you make pear salad?
This salad starts with pears, which are thinly sliced and placed in a bowl of greens along with blue cheese, candied pecans and pomegranate seeds. Make a homemade balsamic dressing, and pour it over the salad, then toss to combine. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Which pear is best for a salad?
You can use pretty much any type of pear you like in this salad. Some of my favorites include Anjou, Bosc, Bartlett and Comice varieties. The important thing is to choose pears that are ripe, but still firm. You can gently squeeze the pear, it should have a bit of give if it’s firm. Avoid soft pears, as they can get mushy in the salad.
Tips for the perfect salad
- Use multiple colors of pears for a fancier presentation.
- The balsamic dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Just store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it, then shake well and pour over the salad.
- I like to buy a wedge of high quality blue cheese and crumble it myself. Pre-crumbled blue cheese often contains anti-caking agents and stabilizers, and doesn’t taste as fresh.
- No pomegranate seeds on hand? Substitute dried cranberries or dried cherries instead.
- This salad is best served immediately, as the cut pears will brown if they sit out too long. You can toss your pear slices in lemon juice to slow down the browning process.
- You can buy candied pecans at the store, or make your own.
- When I’m looking to save on prep time, I buy a container of pomegranate seeds at the grocery store instead of removing the seeds from a whole pomegranate.
Pear Salad variations
This salad is delicious as-is, but you can switch up the ingredients to feature other great flavors.
- Nuts: Try almonds, walnuts or pine nuts instead of pecans.
- Lettuce: You can use baby kale or spinach leaves instead of mixed greens.
- Cheese: Feel free to use crumbled goat cheese, feta cheese or shaved Parmesan cheese instead of blue cheese.
- Other Flavors: You can add other ingredients to the salad such as sliced apples, dried apricots, shaved fennel, or even bacon.
- Protein: Make this salad a meal by adding sliced grilled chicken breast.
While this salad is perfect for the fall, I find myself making it year round. The combination of flavors and textures just can’t be beat!
More salad recipes you’ll enjoy
Pear Salad Video
For the salad
- 6 cups mixed spring greens
- 1 pound pears firm but ripe, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds can substitute dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup candied pecans chopped
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the mixed greens, pears, pomegranate seeds, blue cheese and pecans in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle the dressing over the pear mixture, gently toss to coat. Serve immediately.
What a perfect blend of ingredients. I have been enjoying this salad for my lunches recently. Thanks for the terrific recipe!
I love all the ingredients in this salad, especially the pear and candied pecans! It’s a perfect mix of sweet and savory!
This is such a delicious winter salad! And pears and blue cheese is one of my favorite combinations – yum!
This is fabulous! I love a healthy, gluten free, flavorful salad for lunch – this checks all the boxes!
Such a refreshing salad. The homemade dressing is delicious and the candied pecans are the crowning glory!
Excellent salad and dressing!! I bought ready made pomegranate seeds, which was a mistake (they were bitter). I should have picked up fresh pomegranate. So, used raisins instead, which are really good in this salad as well. I will definitely will be making this again!
Delicious winter salad! Wonderful combination of savory & sweet flavors! Highly recommend!
Restaurant style salad that is really good! I’ve used apples when I didn’t have pears and it was still good!
Yummy – bright and beautiful and packed with flavor! Great recipe
This salad is an absolute favorite! Seriously sooo flavorful and delicious! Thanks for sharing!
This salad was soooooo delicious! Thanks for the easy recipe!!!
I always underestimate pears in my salad; this was delicious! Looking forward to serving this with dinner again this evening!
So many great textures in this salad! Perfect for this time of year!
What a gorgeous salad! I love the combincation of the pears and blue cheese.
I love pears, but never think to add them to my salads! This salad will be served ASAP at my house.
What an amazing healthy recipe. It looks so tasty!
This pear salad recipe looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
I love that pop of flavor that the pomegranate adds to this salad. Such a fresh side to add to dinner.