This mango salad is a zesty blend of diced fresh mango, avocado, red onion and bell pepper, all tossed together in a homemade dressing. A fresh and colorful salad that takes just minutes to put together and always gets rave reviews!
Mangoes are one of my all time favorite fruits. They’re delicious as-is, but can also be served in a creamy mango smoothie, as a zesty mango chicken stir fry, or in a fabulous mango salad. The sweetness of the mango pairs perfectly with the avocado and veggies.
When I want a side dish that’s a little bit unique and unexpected, I turn this mango salad. It’s packed with a ton of different flavors and textures, and also happens to be quick to make. Serve it alongside grilled shrimp, cilantro lime chicken or grilled flank steak, and watch the rave reviews come in.
Table of Contents
Mango Salad Ingredients
This recipe is made with fresh mango, avocado, red onion, red bell pepper, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
How Do You Make Mango Salad?
Start by placing diced mango, avocado, red bell pepper, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice and seasonings to make the dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, then toss gently to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for later use.
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- I like to cut all the ingredients into similar sized pieces for the nicest presentation;
- The recipe calls for a jalapeno, but the seeds and ribs are removed from the pepper which means there’s very little heat. If you prefer a spicy salad, leave some of the ribs and seeds in the peppers.
- Mango salad can be made up to 8 hours before you plan to serve it. If you’re preparing the salad ahead of time, omit the avocado and add it right before serving.
- Choose ripe mangos that are not overly soft. If the mangos are too soft, they might not hold up well in the salad.
The ingredients in this salad can also be finely diced to make an amazing mango salsa which can be served as a condiment or appetizer!
The easiest way to dice a mango is to slice all four sides lengthwise off the mango, being sure to avoid the pit. Score the flesh of the mango by cutting diagonal lines across the mango one direction, and then in the other direction. Do not cut all the way through the skin. Place the scored slice of mango in your hand, then use a large spoon to scoop out the mango pieces.
This mango salad is made with mango, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro and lime dressing. Sometimes mango salad can also contain other ingredients such as cucumber, basil, beans or corn.
I like to serve mango salad with grilled meats, and a lighter side dish such as rice. It is also a great stand alone dish for a potluck or summer gathering.
Mango Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is delicious as-is, but you can use other ingredients you happen to have on hand to make the flavors your own.
- Fruit: You can also use pineapple instead of, or in addition to mango for a great tropical flavor.
- Cheese: This salad is great with a little cheese such as cotija or feta cheese.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add extra veggies to the mix such as tomatoes, corn or English cucumber for added crunch.
- Flavorings: Add more flavor by adding lime zest, cashews, or peanuts, mint, fresh minced garlic or shallot, or even a little minced chipotle pepper.
I love to enjoy mango salad as a lighter lunch, spooned over a piece of grilled salmon, or even served as a dip with tortilla chips. The possibilities are endless!
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
For the salad
- 3 1/2 cups mango diced
- 1 1/2 cups avocado diced
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno remove the seeds and ribs, then mince finely
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad
- Place the mango, avocado, bell pepper, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
For the dressing
- Add the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the mango mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
- This salad can be prepared up to 8 hours in advance. If you’re making the salad in advance, omit the avocado and add it right before serving.
- Not a fan of cilantro? Use green onions instead.