This mango chicken is a combination of seared chicken breast, bell peppers and fresh mango, all tossed in a sweet and savory sauce. Chicken with mango is a unique dinner offering that is sure to get rave reviews!
Mango with chicken is an unusual pairing, but the flavor combination really works! The end result is a tropical tasting meal that’s perfect served over rice.
Chicken goes with just about anything and is a great light protein to add to any dish. This mango chicken hits all the right spots as far as taste and texture go. The sweet and slightly tangy mango mixes well with the tender chicken and slices of bell pepper to make a delicious dinner.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MANGO CHICKEN?
Begin by browning your chicken before adding your pepper slices to the same pan. Next, add your aromatic garlic and ginger to the pan. In a bowl, whisk together your chicken broth and other sauce ingredients then pour it over your chicken mixture. Lastly, place your mango chunks in the pan and serve one delicious dinner!
It is perfectly ok to use either chicken breasts or thighs, whichever you prefer! To get nicely browned chicken, cook it in batches instead of all at once. The chicken should be in a single layer, otherwise it might steam instead of brown.
It’s important that the mango is added at the very end of the cook time. The mango can get mushy if it’s cooked for too long. I suggest using firm but ripe mangoes as far as flavor goes. It makes them a lot easier to cook with as well.
HOW DO YOU CUT A MANGO?
First, peel your mango with a Y-shaped peeler similar to a potato peeler. Then stand your mango on end and cut just to the side of the middle of the mango in order to miss the pit. Once one side is sliced, scoop out the pit. Continue to slice your mango in whatever shape you like!
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF MANGO?
Antioxidants in mango have been proven to help prevent cancer. Not to mention, it also helps clear up your skin, lowers cholesterol, and even improves your eye health. My favorite part is that it improves your gut health which ultimately promotes weight loss.
This chicken with mango is such an easy dish that it takes no time at all to prepare. Everyone loves it, even the kids. I’ve never gotten negative feedback on it. Definitely a plus when it’s such an easy recipe!
OTHER MANGO RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Mango Iced Tea
- Strawberry Mango Agua Fresca
- Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Tropical Fruit Salad
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mango chunks
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Place the chicken in the pan in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. You may need to cook the chicken in batches.
- Cook the chicken for 4-6 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Repeat the process with any remaining chicken.
- Add the peppers to the pan with the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and cornstarch.
- Pour the chicken broth mixture over the chicken and vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has just thickened.
- Stir in the mango chunks and serve.