This easy corn pudding is a light and fluffy mixture of cornbread mix, corn kernels, creamed corn and sour cream. It’s a traditional side dish that takes just minutes to put together and is always a hit!
When it comes to holiday side dishes, we always have the classics on our table like sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, and this delicious corn pudding. Corn casserole is a must-have for Thanksgiving, Christmas and any other family gathering.
Corn pudding is one of those recipes that never goes out of style. The slightly crisp exterior gives way to a fluffy and creamy center with plenty of corn flavor. It’s kind of like the ultimate cornbread! My kids request corn pudding for every special occasion and I’m always happy to oblige.
How do you make corn pudding?
For this recipe, you’ll need a box of cornbread mix, corn kernels, creamed corn, butter, eggs, sugar and sour cream. Everything goes into a big bowl to get mixed together to create the batter. Place your corn pudding in the oven, bake until golden brown, then enjoy!
Tips for corn pudding
- This dish can be assembled up to one day before you plan to bake it. Simply cover your baking dish with foil and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook. You may need to add a few more minutes to the baking time because you’re starting with a cold casserole.
- If you’re looking to save a few calories, you can use light sour cream and reduce the amount of butter by 2 tablespoons.
- This dish is best served fresh from the oven. If you need to reheat it, cut it into slices and microwave until warm.
- You can use fresh or frozen corn instead of canned if you prefer.
Corn pudding variations
- Mexican Corn Pudding: Add a can of diced green chiles and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bacon Corn Pudding: Add 3/4 cup cooked crumbled bacon.
- Sweet Corn Pudding: Increase the amount of sugar to 3 tablespoons.
- Spicy Corn Pudding: Add 1 cup of pepper jack cheese and 1/4 cup diced pickled jalapenos.
Looking to make corn pudding for a crowd? You can easily double this recipe and bake it in a 9″ x 13″ dish to serve more people. You will need to increase the bake time a bit, so keep a close eye on your casserole.
I like to serve corn pudding with a sprinkling of fresh herbs for garnish. I’ve used chives here, but other great options are dill, parsley or green onions.
Corn pudding is the perfect side dish to serve alongside ham, turkey, chicken or beef. It’s a welcome addition to any menu and best of all, it only takes about 5 minutes to prep! How can you go wrong with that?
More side dish ideas
- Candied Carrots
- Brown Sugar Delicata Squash
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Pomegranate Pecan Brussels Sprouts
Corn Pudding Video
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 8 1/2 ounce box cornbread mix such as Jiffy
- 15 ounce can corn kernels drained
- 14 3/4 ounce can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- cooking spray
- fresh herbs such as chives for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 inch square pan or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the butter, eggs, cornbread mix, corn kernels, creamed corn, sour cream and sugar in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Let cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chives if desired, then serve.