This Instant Pot brisket is beef coated in a homemade spice rub, then pressure cooked with BBQ sauce until perfectly tender. A hearty and delicious dinner option that’s packed with flavor and is super easy to make.
I love to use my Instant Pot for dishes that normally have a long cooking time such as beef stew and chili. This Instant Pot brisket cooks in just a fraction of the time as an oven baked or smoked brisket, but still produces great results.
I love to make brisket; it’s a less expensive cut of meat, serves a crowd, and is always a big hit. Instant Pot brisket cooks quickly, yet retains all the flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture that goes along with well prepared brisket.
WHAT CUT IS BRISKET?
Beef brisket comes from the lower part of the chest of a cow. It is a tougher cut of meat because it contains a lot of muscle and connective tissues. Cooking this cut of meat in the Instant Pot allows it to tenderize in an efficient manner.
How to choose a brisket
You may see a couple of different brisket options available at your grocery store. There are two cuts of brisket, which are the point and the flat. The point is a rounder piece of meat that has a fat cap and is often more tender. The flat is a leaner cut that is more of a rectangle in shape. Often times in restaurants when you see those nice even slices of brisket, that is the flat cut. Either cut will work just fine for this recipe, it’s just a matter of preference whether you want leaner meat, or meat with a little more fat in it.
How do you make Instant Pot Brisket?
Start by coating your brisket in spice rub. I highly recommend making my BBQ rub, as it’s the perfect blend of smoky and savory flavors. Pour beef broth into the Instant Pot, then place the brisket in the pot. Pour BBQ sauce over the meat, then seal the pot. Cook for 75 minutes, then let the pressure release for another 15 minutes. From there, you can slice the meat and serve, or you can brush a little more sauce over the top and place it in the broiler to get a caramelized outer layer.
Tips for the perfect Instant Pot brisket
- Be sure to choose a piece of meat that will fit in your pressure cooker. I typically use an 8 quart cooker, which comfortably fits a 4 pound brisket. If you have a smaller Instant Pot, you can either use a smaller piece of meat, or cut your meat into two pieces to make it fit.
- This dish can be prepared up to one day before you plan to serve it. Store the whole, cooked brisket in a shallow pan covered with foil in the refrigerator. Reheat the brisket in a covered pan until warmed through, then slice and serve.
- You can choose your favorite brand of store bought BBQ sauce, or try making my homemade BBQ sauce.
- Store any leftover brisket in the fridge for up to 3 days; you can also freeze the cooked meat for 2 months.
This recipe is the absolute best way to get succulent brisket without spending the whole day in the kitchen!
More Instant Pot recipes to try
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms
- Pressure Cooker Carnitas
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Pressure Cooker Pork Chops
Instant Pot Brisket Video
Instant Pot Brisket
- 4 pounds beef brisket
- 1/3 cup BBQ rub homemade or store bought
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup barbecue sauce homemade or store bought, plus more for serving
- Coat the brisket all over with the BBQ rub.
- Pour the beef broth into the bottom of an Instant Pot, then set the brisket in the pot, fat side up.
- Spread the BBQ sauce over the brisket.
- Seal the pot. Set it for high manual pressure for 75 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Optional step: Preheat the oven broiler. Brush an additional thin layer of BBQ sauce over the meat.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until caramelized. Watch carefully to make sure it does not burn.
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain, then serve with additional sauce as desired.
- Make sure to choose a piece of brisket that will fit inside your Instant Pot!
Can I use frozen brisket. And how would I adjust the time.
I have never tested it this way so I’m not sure if it would work!
I’ve always been intimidated to make brisket but making it like this in the IP was SO easy. Happy I found this delicious recipe, thank you!
Oh yum! You had me at homemade spice rub! This brisket looks so good. I love how easily it comes together in the instant pot.
Love the spices and bbq sauce you used on this brisket – it makes it so flavorful!
I can’t wait to try this out! I have never thought to put the brisket in the Instant Pot. Time to dust mine off and get to cooking.
Oh how I love brisket! So happy to have found a recipe to make it in the Instant Pot!
Can’t believe how tender my brisket became with this recipe! Definitely making again.
This was such a tender and delicious bbq brisket! And so easy! Definitely a repeat recipe for my family!
Oh wow! This brisket looks fantastic and packed with so much flavor! My hubby and teens are going to be all over this recipe! I’m so excited to make this. I love using my instant pot for so many recipes!
I make great brisket but never used the instant pot. Will have to try it this way. Can’t wait to try. Thanks!
I have never made a brisket in the Instant Pot before, so this recipe is quite exciting… Love the result!