This Instant Pot chicken is lightly breaded chicken breasts topped with a creamy and savory mushroom sauce. A quick and easy dinner option that the entire family will enjoy!
I’m a big fan of using my Instant Pot to make dinner time easier. This Instant Pot chicken recipe has quickly become a favorite, and it’s on our dinner menu constantly. I recommend serving this chicken with a side of mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli for a complete meal.
When I’m looking for a quick meal with minimal work, I turn to my Instant Pot. This Instant Pot chicken is smothered in the most delicious creamy mushroom sauce, and the whole thing is ready in less than 30 minutes!
How do you cook chicken in the Instant Pot?
This recipe starts with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The chicken breasts are coated in flour and seasonings, then they go into the Instant Pot on saute mode to cook to golden brown. When the chicken is browned, mushrooms go into the pot. The chicken and mushrooms cook through together under pressure until they’re tender. The final step is to add a little bit of heavy cream to thicken and enrich the sauce.
Tips for Instant Pot Chicken
- Make sure your chicken breasts are approximately the same size and thickness so that they cook at the same rate.
- I use sliced button mushrooms, but you could use other mushroom varieties such as cremini or shiitake.
- You can also make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Don’t have heavy cream? You can use cream cheese instead, simply stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
How long does it take to cook chicken in the instant pot?
These chicken breasts will cook on high manual pressure for 10 minutes, and you’ll want to release the pressure manually. If you choose to use chicken thighs, they’ll cook for 15 minutes at high manual pressure.
Instant Pot Chicken Variations
You can add so many different flavorings to this recipe to make it your own!
- Sun Dried Tomatoes: Add 1/4 cup chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes to the sauce.
- Spinach: Stir in 1 cup of spinach leaves when the sauce is simmering.
- Bacon: Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cooked crumbled bacon over the finished dish.
- Olives: Stir 1/4 cup of sliced kalamata olives into the sauce.
HOW DO YOU CLEAN MUSHROOMS?
The best way to clean mushrooms is to use a damp paper towel to gently rub each mushroom. You can also rinse your mushrooms in a colander, but be sure to rinse them briefly; do not soak them in water. Or, you can save time by purchasing a packaged of washed, pre-sliced mushrooms.
You’ll be amazed at how delicious this Instant Pot chicken recipe is. The chicken comes out perfectly tender, and that creamy sauce just can’t be beat! Your family is sure to love this one as much as mine does.
More great chicken recipes
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Roasted Chicken with Garlic and Herbs
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Sesame Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Instant Pot Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts approximately 1 1/4 lbs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place the flour on a plate and add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, then select SAUTE mode and adjust the heat to MORE.
- When the Instant Pot is hot, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook the chicken in a single layer for 3-4 minutes per side, or until browned. You may need to work in batches.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and cover to keep warm.
- Add the butter and mushrooms to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms have softened. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning, and cook for 30 seconds more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the pot along with the chicken broth.
- Seal the pot and select Manual Pressure High for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time has finished, carefully vent the pot to release the pressure.
- Place the chicken on a serving plate and cover to keep warm.
- Select SAUTE mode then adjust the heat to MORE. Add the cream to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.