These Instant Pot short ribs are flavorful beef ribs cooked with vegetables and seasonings until tender. The fastest and easiest way to prepare succulent short ribs that always get rave reviews!
When I’m looking for a hearty meal that I know will please a crowd, I turn to classic such as slow cooker pot roast, baked mac and cheese and these simple yet succulent pressure cooker short ribs.
I happen to love short ribs – they’re full of flavor, inexpensive and are elegant enough for company. The only downside is that they take a long time to cook. These Instant Pot short ribs cook in a fraction of the time, and the end result is perfectly juicy and tender meat.
WHAT ARE SHORT RIBS?
Short ribs are from the chuck section of the cow, and happen to be the shortest ribs in the rib cage, which is how they get their name. The meat from these ribs are part of the muscle, so it tends to be on the tough side, but very flavorful. For this particular recipe, you can purchase bone-in or boneless short ribs. I personally prefer to use boneless short ribs because they are easier to eat with a lot less waste.
How do you make Instant Pot short ribs?
Start by turning your pressure cooker to saute mode, then brown the ribs. Remove the short ribs from the pot, then brown the vegetables. Add the red wine, and simmer until it has reduced by half. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, then seal the pot. Cook on high pressure, then let the pressure release naturally. Remove the ribs from the pot, and skim any excess fat from the cooking liquid. Add cornstarch, then bring the liquid to a simmer. After the sauce has thickened, return the ribs to the pot and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish with fresh herbs, then serve and enjoy!
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT SHORT RIBS
- This is a great make-ahead recipe, as the ribs are even more flavorful on the second day. Cook the ribs as directed, then transfer them to a baking dish and spoon the sauce over the top. Cover the dish with foil, then refrigerate until you’re ready to eat. Reheat the ribs in the covered dish at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes or until they are warm.
- Serve your short ribs over mashed potatoes, cauliflower rice, polenta, or a short pasta such as orzo. I also like to add a green vegetable on the side like zucchini, broccoli, green beans or asparagus.
- Have leftover short ribs? Dice up the meat and use it to make beef noodle soup.
- I recommend using fresh herbs in this recipe, but you can substitute dried herbs in a pinch. Just use 1/3 of the amount of dried herbs that’s listed for the fresh herbs.
- The alcohol in the red wine evaporates during the cooking process, but if you prefer not to use wine, just add more beef broth instead.
CAN YOU FREEZE INSTANT POT SHORT RIBS?
This recipe is a perfect candidate for a freezer meal. I often make a double batch of ribs so that I’ll have extra to freeze for a different night! Place the short ribs with their sauce in an airtight container or resealable freezer bag, then freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw the ribs overnight in the refrigerator, then warm the ribs in a pan on the stove top or in a covered dish in the oven.
Once you try these Instant Pot short ribs, you’ll find yourself making them on a regular basis. They’re just that good!
More delicious dinner recipes
- Filet Mignon with Garlic Butter
- Hamburger Casserole
- Chicken Scampi
- Classic Stuffed Shells
- Baked Pork Chops
Instant Pot Short Ribs Video
Instant Pot Short Ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs cut into 6 inch pieces, or 5 pounds bone-in short ribs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup onion sliced
- 3 carrots peeled, halved and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme plus more for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- thyme sprigs for garnish
- Select the Saute function on your Instant Pot. Add the olive oil to the pot.
- Place half of the short ribs in a single layer in the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat the process with the remaining meat.
- Remove the meat from the pot and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the onions and carrot to the pot. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until just tender and starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the red wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the short ribs, thyme, bay leaf, and beef broth to the pot. Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
- Carefully unseal the pot. Take the ribs out of the pot and cover to keep warm. Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Skim any fat off the surface of the liquid.
- Turn the pot back to Saute mode. Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water and add it to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for one minute or until thickened.
- Add the ribs back to the pot and spoon the sauce over the top. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. Garnish with thyme sprigs, then serve.
I’m replacing my current short rib recipe with this one. Very simple to throw together and the meat came out so tender and juicy. I made mashed potatoes and steamed broccolini as the sides. They were the perfect compliment.
Oh wow! Such an amazing recipe for dinner! Definitely going to be making this again!
Yum!! These came out so tender and juicy – my mouth is watering just thinking about them!
My mouth is watering!! My husband & I love ribs & these are so juicy & taste amazing!!
These short ribs looks amazing – – so tender and flavorful! Absolutely delicious!
They sound so fantastic and I bet they get so tender in the instant Pot! Cannot wait to try
What a great instant pot recipe for a delicious dinner! Saving this to make over the weekend, thanks for the recipe!
Fork tender meat in a delicious sauce and so easy to make. Love this!
YUM I absolutely love short ribs and even better in the Instant Pot!!
Love short ribs! These look absolutely amazing and such minimal prep with the instant pot. Sounds perfect paired with orzo.
Short ribs are our favorite, and they are so simple to make in the Instant Pot! Love everything that you are adding this dish, will be trying it soon.
What a delicious dinner dish this makes! I’d love lots of rice to accompany this. YUM!