This honey cornbread is the ultimate cornbread recipe! It’s slightly sweet, perfectly tender and absolutely delicious.
There are soooo many types of cornbread out there, everything from cornbread that’s so sweet it’s almost like cake, to super savory cornbread with cheese, jalapenos and other fun add ins. This honey cornbread is the perfect in between cornbread – not too sweet, not too savory, perfect to use in Thanksgiving stuffing or enjoy as is. It’s also super easy to make and only uses a single bowl! How can you go wrong with what?
How To Make Honey Cornbread
The ingredients in this honey cornbread are exactly what you’d expect – flour, cornmeal, honey, sugar, butter and buttermilk. You can bake this cornbread in a cast iron skillet or in a square baking pan, whichever you prefer. Don’t skip the step of using an extra tablespoon of butter to grease the dish – it creates the most delicious golden brown crust! I know the inclination is to use cooking spray, which I typically use, but in this case, go for the butter. Because let’s be honest, cornbread is basically a vehicle to consume lots of butter and jam and honey, am I right?
I love to serve this cornbread alongside a hearty bowl of soup or as a side to a holiday meal. If you’ve got leftover cornbread, save it for croutons or crumble it up into a glass of milk. Have you heard of cornbread in milk? It’s a Southern thing and when I mentioned it on my Facebook page I got a huge reaction! You can even add sugar to the milk to enhance the experience. It’s definitely a unique way to eat cornbread!
This recipe also makes great cornbread muffins. If you’re more in a muffin mood, divide the batter equally into a greased 12 cup muffin tin, bake for 15 minutes, then enjoy!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Butterflake Rolls
- Peach Crumble Bars
Honey Cornbread Video
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Use the softened butter to grease a 9 or 10 inch square baking pan or cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add the buttermilk, eggs, butter and honey.
- Stir until just combined - do not overmix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.