These chocolate covered Oreos are Oreo sandwich cookies dipped in either dark or white chocolate and decorated with colorful sprinkles. Chocolate covered Oreos make a great dessert, snack or party favor.
Oreos are great on their own, but they’re about ten thousand times better when they’re covered in chocolate. I often see chocolate dipped Oreos at candy stores and they’re crazy expensive! You can make your own chocolate covered Oreos with minimal effort, and your family and friends will be so impressed!
How do you make chocolate covered Oreos?
To make chocolate covered Oreos, you need just three ingredients: Oreo cookies, candy melts and sprinkles. I use a mix of both chocolate and vanilla Oreos. You can really use any flavor variety you like here, peanut butter Oreos would also be a great choice.
The Oreo cookies get dipped into chocolate candy melts. You may be wondering, why candy melts and not chocolate chips? This recipe uses candy melts because they’re much easier to work with than chocolate chips. Candy melts create a smooth, thin coating that’s more like what you’d get at a chocolate shop. Chocolate chips are more likely to create a super thick shell that doesn’t have that smooth finish.
The other reason I use candy melts is because you don’t have to temper them. If you use real chocolate, you need to temper the chocolate or when it dries you’ll have gray streaks all over the place which is not so pretty. Candy melts don’t produce that same gray “bloom” so you can store your chocolate covered Oreos for weeks and not worry about them losing their shiny finish.
How do you melt candy melts?
The easiest way to melt your candy melts is in the microwave. Simply place them in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 30 second increments, stirring occasionally until the candy is melted. If your candy melts seem thick, you can add shortening, one teaspoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
Tips for chocolate covered Oreos
- I HIGHLY recommend using Ghirardelli Melting Wafers for the best results. They taste like real chocolate and melt beautifully which makes them so easy to work with.
- Be sure to scrape all the excess chocolate off the bottom of your Oreos so that the chocolate won’t pool and create a “foot” at the bottom of your cookies.
- If your candy melts start to thicken up a bit, simply return them to the microwave and heat for another 10-15 seconds.
- Chocolate covered Oreos can be stored for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- You can use any type of sprinkles you like. I change up the sprinkles depending on the time of the year, and I always make a Christmas version for the holidays.
I love to hand out chocolate covered Oreos around the holidays as gifts for friends and teachers. I package them up in cellophane bags or gift tins and my kids deliver them around town. Everyone is always so impressed that we made them ourselves!
Chocolate dipped Oreos are great for so many different occasions – think wedding favors, birthday parties, classroom events and more! It’s a treat that’s always welcome at any gathering.
More fun dessert ideas
Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 1 package Oreo cookies any flavor variety
- 16 ounces candy melts white, dark or a combination
- 1 cup sprinkles
- Place the candy melts in microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Use a fork to dip each Oreo in the chocolate. Gently tap the fork against the side of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate from the Oreos.
- Place the Oreos on a sheet of parchment paper. Add sprinkles to the top of each Oreo, then let the cookies sit until completely dry.
- Serve, or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.