These no bake haystack cookies combine chow mein noodles, milk chocolate and butterscotch chips to make decadent treats that are always a huge hit. Chow mein cookies are perfect to whip up at a moment’s notice and you can vary the flavors and sprinkle decorations depending on the season.
Chow mein cookies are made with plenty of rich chocolate and crunchy noodles. They have just 4 ingredients and can be made in 10 minutes with the help of a microwave.
Every time I make these haystack cookies, I’m taken back to childhood. I can remember eating these at every holiday function and any day mom felt like whipping them up. They’re easily customized and don’t involve baking which is a plus when you don’t want to put a lot of effort into a sweet treat.
HOW DO YOU MAKE HAYSTACK COOKIES?
If you have the abilitiy to microwave some chocolate and do some mixing, then you’re set to make these chow mein cookies. Start with some decadent milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwaveable bowl and heat until smooth. Add your crunchy chow mein nooodles until they’re well coated then add to a parchment sheet to dry. Cover with your sprinkles and wait impatiently for the chow mein noodle cookies to dry.
My favorite part about these chow mein cookies is the fact that they’re no bake and super quick to make. They work perfectly for a last minute dessert or treat when a school or family function hangs in the balance. We like to eat them with the butterscotch and chocolate chips because it’s an ultra rich and creamy combination, however there are many ways you can mix up the flavor when making these haystack cookies.
Other ways to mix up the flavor are:
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- White chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Chopped nuts
You can also customize your haystack cookies for any holiday by switching up the sprinkles. Just choose a color or sprinkle fitting for the occasion and you’ve got an easy no-bake treat to match your event. Be sure to store your cookies in an airtight container if you have any leftovers. They should keep for about 5 days.
HOW BIG SHOULD I MAKE THE HAYSTACK COOKIES?
The great thing about these chow mein cookies is that you don’t have to be precise when placing them on the parchment paper. You can make them whatever size you desire. However, I usually make them around 2 inches in size for easier storage and snacking.
Every time we make these cookies, I like letting the children help. They’re just so easy that there’s really no way to mess them up. It’s a great way for the kids to make the memories I got to make growing up.
MORE NO-BAKE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 9 No Bake Cookie Recipes
- Avalanche Cookies
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Birds Nest Cookies
- No Bake Breakfast Cereal Bars
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 12 ounces butterscotch chips
- 12 ounces chow mein noodles
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Place the milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a large bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add the chow mein noodles to the bowl and toss until coated in the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cookie mixture onto a piece of parchment and shape into a mound; place a pinch of sprinkles on top.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cookie mixture and sprinkles until you have 12 cookies.
- Let cookies sit until firm, then serve. Cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.