This recipe for Chinese chicken salad is loaded with chicken, veggies, won tons and mandarin oranges, all tossed in a sesame ginger dressing. My all time favorite salad!
I love to order Chinese chicken salad at restaurants, but I had never attempted to make it myself at home. I’m a big salad eater, especially at lunch time, and I decided it was time to create my own version of the restaurant favorite. Dare I say this is even better than the restaurant version? Here’s the thing: when I think of Chinese chicken salad, I think of crunch – I just love those little won tons and chinese noodles that you typically find in this salad! I decided to double up on the crunch and went with both won tons and crispy chow mein noodles. You could choose one or the other if you have a strong preference, but it’s just soooo good with both varieties!
Of course there’s more than just crunchy pieces in this salad – we’ve got sliced chicken, mandarin oranges, bell peppers and sesame seeds, all over a bed of romaine lettuce and cabbage. Other great additions would be carrots or even cucumber! For the chicken, you can grill or saute it, or even just pick up a rotisserie chicken and use that for a no-cook dinner.
The main flavoring agent in the dressing is sesame oil, along with soy sauce, ginger and rice vinegar. Add a sprinkling of green onions and you’ve got an amazing meal! This salad serves 4, but could easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd, it’s an excellent dish for parties and potlucks. I mean really, who wouldn’t want to eat this Chinese chicken salad?!
Chinese Chicken Salad Video
Chinese Chicken Salad
- 3 cups of sliced cooked chicken
- 5 cups of romaine lettuce
- 2 cups of shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup of mandarin oranges drained
- 1 cup of thinly sliced red and/or yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 cup won ton strips
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar; cover and shake until well combined.
- For the salad: Place the lettuce and cabbage in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Arrange the chicken, won tons, chow mein noodles, mandarin oranges and bell peppers on top of the lettuce mixture. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds, then serve immediately.