These caprese skewers combine tomatoes with basil, mozzarella, olive oil and balsamic for an appetizer that’s both easy and impressive!
I serve these caprese kabobs at all my parties, everyone loves this classic flavor combination and it’s even more fun to eat it off a stick!
Sometimes when it comes to appetizers, simple and easy is the best way to go. These pretty little caprese skewers are light, fresh and absolutely perfect for entertaining. It’s an elegant way to do caprese salad that will earn you rave reviews!
How to make caprese skewers
To make these salad kabobs, you’ll need cherry tomatoes (I used both red and yellow for color contrast), small mozzarella balls, basil leaves, olive oil, Italian seasoning and balsamic glaze. The tomatoes, mozzarella and basil are threaded onto skewers and then drizzled with seasoned olive oil and balsamic glaze. From there, simply serve and enjoy!
You’ll want to look for a bunch of basil with smaller leaves for this recipe. I actually used that “living basil” that comes with the dirt still attached because the leaves were small and tender. Balsamic glaze is basically balsamic vinegar that’s been reduced until it’s thick and syrupy. It’s sweeter than balsamic vinegar and it clings to the skewers much better than standard balsamic vinegar would. You can find balsamic glaze (also called balsamic reduction) at most grocery stores near the regular salad vinegar.
Make ahead directions
You can thread the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella onto skewers about one hour before you plan to serve them; simply cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. The olive oil and balsamic glaze should be added right before serving.
While many tomato recipes are best during the summer when tomatoes are in season, these caprese kabobs are actually great year round, since cherry tomatoes tend to be naturally sweeter than other tomato varieties. It’s a party snack that’s welcomed for any occasion!
More appetizer recipes
- 24 red cherry tomatoes
- 12 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 24 bite sized fresh mozzarella balls
- 36 small basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1 /2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start with 12 6-inch skewers. Thread the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella onto the skewers in the pattern shown in the images above.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the skewers on a plate and drizzle with the olive oil mixture.
- Place the balsamic glaze in a small plastic bag with one corner snipped off. Drizzle the balsamic over the skewers, then serve.
Easy and delicious! Love the single portion foods!
Tasted as good as it looks! Easy too which I love.
Super easy yet delicious , my go to appetizer!