This recipe for spice roasted figs with hazelnuts and vanilla ice cream is a cool and refreshing treat that showcases fresh figs. It’s an easy dessert that the whole family will love!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
While I love pretty much all summer fruit, figs have got to be my favorite. I even have a fig tree in my back yard! When figs are in season, I eat them constantly to get my fill before their short season ends. And what’s better than fresh figs? How about roasted figs with ice cream!? This Spice Roasted Figs with Hazelnuts and Vanilla Ice Cream dessert is an easy yet elegant treat.
This recipe was created by celebrity chef Curtis Stone, along with his wife actress Lindsay Price Stone, to celebrate the 150th birthday of Breyers ice cream. They’re creating 12 recipes (one each month) featuring Breyers Natural Vanilla ice cream to give people a way to celebrate special occasions with Breyers all year long.
I have been buying Breyers ice cream for many years, and the Natural Vanilla is my family’s favorite flavor. I love that Breyers uses real vanilla in this ice cream, from sustainably farmed, Rainforest Alliance Certified™ vanilla beans. Breyers also only uses milk and cream from cows that have not been treated with artificial growth hormones*, which is a big bonus in my book. Most important of all, the ice cream tastes amazing, it’s pure vanilla perfection, made with fresh cream, milk and sugar. When you combine Breyers Natural Vanilla ice cream with roasted figs, you end up with something magical. The figs are cut in half and get a quick dip in spiced sugar before broiled to create a sweet and caramelized exterior.
The figs get served with the ice cream and finished off with some chopped hazelnuts. The whole family loved this dessert, even my little ones!
If you love figs as much as I do, you’ll definitely want to grab a carton next time you’re at the store to make this recipe. It’s the perfect way to celebrate a special occasion, or to simply cool off with a sweet treat on a hot day. Love ice cream as much as we do? Don’t forget to check out Breyers on Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook for more great recipes!
Spice Roasted Figs with Hazelnuts and Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 ripe figs halved lengthwise
- 1 1/3 cups Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup blanched hazelnuts toasted, coarsely chopped
- Position broiler rack 6 inches from heat source and preheat broiler. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and spices. One at a time, dip figs, cut side down, in sugar mixture to coat. Then coat figs a second time with sugar mixture and arrange cut side up on baking sheet. Broil figs, watching closely, for about 4 minutes, or until sugar melts and begins to caramelize and figs soften slightly and begin to ooze their juice.
- Divide figs among 4 bowls. Spoon 1/3 cup of Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream into each bowl and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
*Suppliers of other ingredients such as cookies, candies & sauces may not be able to make this pledge. The FDA states that no significant difference has been shown between dairy derived from rBST-treated and non-rBST treated cows.