This post is sponsored by Green Giant®. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
This breakfast casserole with bacon recipe is loaded with eggs, cheese and bacon, then finished off with an avocado and tomato topping. The perfect hearty breakfast for any occasion!
I am most definitely a savory breakfast person. As delicious as french toast and doughnuts are, they just don’t keep me satisfied for very long. I almost always have eggs for breakfast, and this breakfast casserole with bacon is the perfect way to feed an egg loving crowd! Traditionally breakfast casseroles often contain some type of potato, like diced potatoes, hash browns or potato tots. I swapped out the potato tots in this dish with Green Giant™ Veggie Tots. These tots are made with cauliflower instead of potatoes and they work perfectly in this casserole to add in some extra vegetables – because who couldn’t use some more veggies in their diet?!
These Green Giant™ Veggie Tots make a great side dish, and best of all, my kids love ’em! You can bake them to serve alongside burgers, or in this case, you can simply add them straight to your breakfast casserole.
The Veggie Tots are layered in a baking dish and a mixture of eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon is poured over the top. This breakfast casserole with bacon then goes into the oven to bake to golden brown perfection.
You can serve the casserole as-is, or top it with a bright and colorful combination of tomatoes, avocado and green onion. I just love the added freshness (and extra veggies!) in the topping, it really makes this dish special. Simply cut your casserole into squares and you’ve got a hearty breakfast that will satisfy even the biggest appetites. Sometimes I even serve this casserole for dinner!
My entire family enjoyed this dish, and I loved that they were able to get in some extra veggies. You can easily customize this casserole to your family’s preferences by using ham or sausage instead of bacon. Other great additions to this recipe would be sauteed vegetables like peppers and onions, the possibilities are endless.
This breakfast casserole with bacon is the perfect choice for a holiday meal, or you can make it at the beginning of the week and reheat a square each day for a quick breakfast on the go. My family has started requesting this one on the weekends, it’s just that good!
Ready to give these Veggie Tots a try? Head on over to the Green Giant® website for a coupon as well as some amazing recipes!
Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- 1 pound of bacon cooked and crumbled, divided use
- 1 16-ounce bag of Green Giant™ Cauliflower Veggie Tots
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese divided use
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- 3 tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place the Veggie Tots in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and milk until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in 3/4 of the bacon and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggie tots.
- Sprinkle the remaining bacon and cheese over the top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center is set.
- Place the tomatoes, avocado and green onions in a bowl; stir to combine.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the top of the casserole and serve.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Green Giant®