This breakfast casserole with bacon recipe is loaded with eggs, cheese and bacon, then finished off with an avocado and tomato topping. The perfect hearty breakfast for any occasion!
This bacon and egg casserole is so quick to put together and feeds a crowd, it’s great for a holiday brunch or lazy Saturday.
I am most definitely a savory breakfast person. As delicious as french toast and doughnuts are, they just don’t keep me satisfied for very long. I almost always have eggs for breakfast, and this breakfast casserole with bacon is the perfect way to feed an egg loving crowd!
This casserole is chock full of eggs, potato tots, crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese. The finishing touch is a fresh and delicious avocado and tomato topping, which cuts through the richness of the casserole. Plus who couldn’t use a few veggies in the morning?!
How to make breakfast casserole with bacon
For this bacon and egg casserole you’ll need a dozen eggs, cooked bacon, shredded cheese, and frozen potato tots. The potato tots are layered in a baking dish and a mixture of eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon is poured over the top. This breakfast casserole with bacon then goes into the oven to bake to golden brown perfection.
While the casserole is in the oven, I make the topping which is simply chopped tomatoes, avocado and chives. If you don’t have chives, you can also use green onions, basil or parsley.
I just love the added freshness in the topping, it really makes this dish special. Simply cut your casserole into squares and you’ve got a hearty breakfast that will satisfy even the biggest appetites. Sometimes I even serve this casserole for dinner!
My entire family loves this dish, it’s our go-to casserole for breakfast and brunch. You can easily customize this casserole to your family’s preferences by using ham or sausage instead of bacon. Other great additions to this recipe would be sauteed vegetables like peppers and onions, the possibilities are endless.
This breakfast casserole with bacon is the perfect choice for a holiday meal, or you can make it at the beginning of the week and reheat a square each day for a quick breakfast on the go. My family has started requesting this one almost every weekend, it’s just that good!
More breakfast recipes
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Hash Brown Egg Casserole
- Donut Bread Pudding
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Breakfast Casserole Video
Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled, divided use
- 16 ounces frozen potato tots
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided use
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- 3 tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced chives
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place the potato tots in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and milk until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in 3/4 of the bacon and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potato tots.
- Sprinkle the remaining bacon and cheese over the top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center is set.
- Place the tomatoes, avocado and chives in a bowl; stir to combine. Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the top of the casserole and serve.
- No need to thaw the potato tots, they go straight from the freezer to the casserole.
- You can substitute one pound of cooked crumbled sausage for the bacon if you prefer.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Green Giant®. This post was originally published on December 2, 2016 and was updated December 18, 2017 with new photos.