This hash brown egg casserole is full of ham, veggies and cheese, all baked to perfection. The best breakfast option for a special occasion!
The holidays are almost here, which means the entertaining season has begun! I host quite a few gatherings during the holidays, including cookie exchanges, kids holiday parties, and more. One occasion that sometimes gets overlooked is breakfast. I often have guests staying at my house and I want to be able to offer a quick yet satisfying meal in the morning. This hash brown egg casserole is perfect for entertaining. It’s a hearty dish filled with ham, veggies, eggs, hash browns and cheese. Best of all, it’s simple to make and serves a crowd!
How to make hash brown egg casserole
Let’s talk about the eggs first, since they’re the base of this hash brown casserole. I always buy Eggland’s Best eggs, they are much more nutritious than ordinary eggs. Eggland’s Best eggs have six times more Vitamin D, 10 times more Vitamin E, double the omega-3s, and more than double Vitamin B12. I love that I can get more vitamins into my kids this way. Eggland’s Best eggs also have 25% less saturated fat than regular eggs, which is important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. These eggs taste great, and they even stay fresh longer than standard eggs, always a bonus! You can learn more about the nutritional benefits of Eggland’s Best eggs on their website.
To make this ham and egg casserole, you’ll also need onions, peppers, cubed ham, cheddar cheese and milk. I cook the peppers and onions, then combine the veggies with ham and hash browns, which all goes into a casserole dish. You can use either fresh or frozen hash browns for this recipe. If you’re using frozen hash browns, you don’t need to thaw them, simply break them up a bit and add to the pan. Fresh hash browns are located in the egg section of most grocery stores.
After you’ve got your ham, veggies and potatoes, a mixture of eggs, milk, cream and cheese gets poured over the top. Place your breakfast casserole in the oven and you’re good to go!
Tips for cooking with Eggland’s Best Eggs
- To get a smooth egg mixture for this casserole, I typically crack my Eggland’s Best eggs into a bowl, and whisk until thoroughly blended. After the eggs have been beaten, I slowly add in the milk and cream, whisking as I go.
- Looking for an egg dish for a smaller group? You can create an egg scramble with the same flavors by cooking up peppers, onions and ham in a skillet, then adding Eggland’s Best eggs (I typically do 2 eggs per person). Cook, stirring continuously, until eggs are scrambled, then add the cheese and serve!
- Love hard boiled eggs but don’t know how to cook them properly? Invest in an egg timer! It’s a little device that goes inside your pan of eggs, and it lets you know when they’re properly cooked. I’ve owned one for years and my hard boiled Eggland’s Best eggs are perfect every time.
After your casserole comes out of the oven, let it cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into squares and serve. I like to add a sprinkling of fresh chives over the top for added flavor and color. I typically serve this dish with a side of fruit salad, and it makes the perfect protein packed meal that my family and guests all adore.
Eggland’s Best eggs are always in my fridge, I love that they’re full of nutrition and they taste great too. Be sure to check out the Eggland’s Best website and follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for more information about their products, great recipe ideas and more!
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- Breakfast Casserole with Bacon
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- No-Bake Breakfast Cereal Bars
- Healthy Banana Pancakes
- Oatmeal Waffles with Blueberry Pancakes
Hash Brown Egg Casserole
This hash brown egg casserole is full of ham, veggies and cheese, all baked to perfection. The perfect breakfast option for a special occasion!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces ham diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 ounces fresh or frozen hash browns
- 12 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chives sliced
- cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and peppers, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened, 3-5 minutes.
Place the cooked vegetables, ham and hash browns in the baking dish, stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until thoroughly blended. Add the cream, milk and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over the ham and vegetables in the pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Sprinkle with chives. Cut into squares and serve.
This delightful hash brown egg casserole recipe has been sponsored by Eggland’s Best. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!