This recipe for sweet potato hash is diced potatoes combined with savory sausage and colorful vegetables to make a hearty meal. Add a fried egg on top, and you have breakfast or brunch perfection.
I love to take odds and ends of meat, potatoes and vegetables that I have in my kitchen, and turn them into hash. This sweet potato hash features plenty of sausage, peppers and onions, and is so quick and easy to prepare. I make it all the time, and I always add a fried egg on top!
How do you make sweet potato hash?
This recipe starts with breakfast sausage, which is browned in a skillet and combined with peppers and onions. After everything has cooked through, the sweet potatoes are added to the mix. The final step is to top the dish with sunny side up eggs. Add a sprinkle of parsley, then breakfast is served!
Tips for sweet potato hash
- This recipe calls for cooked sweet potatoes. You can steam, boil or bake your potatoes, or use leftover sweet potatoes. Whatever you have on hand will work!
- Stir your sweet potatoes gently when you add them to the hash so that they don’t break up into small pieces or get mushy.
- You can use pork or turkey breakfast sausage, whichever you prefer. This dish also works great with smoked sausage or chicken apple sausage.
- I love to serve this dish with a fried egg on top because the runny yolk mixes with the hash ingredients to form a sauce. You can also crack eggs directly into the hash, and bake the hash until the eggs are cooked through.
Potato Hash Variations
There are so many different ways to customize this recipe to make it your own!
- Protein: Instead of sausage, try ham, bacon or diced chicken.
- Potatoes: No sweet potatoes on hand? You can use cooked Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes instead.
- Vegetables: You can add other vegetables you have on hand such as spinach, mushrooms, kale or diced tomatoes.
This sweet potato hash is a real winner, it’s perfect for breakfast or brunch. The sweet potatoes pair so well with the sausage and savory veggies, and the fried eggs really take this dish over the top! Serve yourself up a plate of hash topped with the egg, then stir the runny egg yolk into the sausage mixture – perfection I tell you!
Whether it’s for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner, this sweet potato hash is sure to please any palate!
MORE GREAT BREAKFAST IDEAS
Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces, and cooked until tender
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound breakfast sausage casings removed
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 fried eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sausage, and cook for 5-6 minutes or until done, breaking up the sausage with a spatula.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the red and green bell peppers and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until just tender
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are lightly browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggs on top of the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve immediately.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smithfield. This post was originally published on November 28, 2016 and was updated on October 9, 2019 with new content.