This avocado corn salad is a blend of corn kernels, fresh avocado, ripe tomatoes and red onion, all tossed in a homemade lime dressing. A colorful side dish that is quick to put together and always gets rave reviews!
I can’t get enough of fresh salad recipes during the warmer weather months. Some of my favorites include a main course grilled chicken salad, classic cucumber tomato salad and refreshing avocado corn salad.
In my opinion, there’s nothing better than fresh corn on the cob. It’s great when grilled, boiled or served in a salad. This avocado corn salad has the perfect blend of flavors and textures, and also happens to be quite easy to make.
I love avocado corn salad during summer when corn is fresh and sweet. Summer is a perfect time to enjoy salads like BBQ chicken salad, German potato salad and three bean salad. Enjoy the flavors of summer with these great salads!
Table of Contents
Avocado Corn Salad Ingredients
This salad is comprised of corn, cherry tomatoes, red onion, avocado and cilantro. The dressing is made with olive oil, honey, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
How Do You Make Avocado Corn Salad?
Start by placing corn, cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, diced avocado and cilantro in a large bowl. Make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, fresh lime juice, a little bit of honey and some spices. Pour the dressing into the vegetables, then toss gently to coat. Serve and enjoy!
Tips For The Best Salad
- Choose avocados that are ripe, but still firm so that they don’t get mushy when you go to stir the salad together.
- This salad can be made up to 4 hours in advance, but I recommend adding the avocado at the end right before you serve it so that it doesn’t discolor.
- I find that the salad is best when eaten on the day that it’s made because of the avocado.
- I use a mandoline to cut my red onion into very thin slices.
- Serve avocado corn salad as a side dish, or use it as a topping for chicken tacos, grilled chicken breast or grilled salmon. You could even serve it as a dip with tortilla chips.
- Not a fan of cilantro? You can use sliced green onions instead.
- This salad also works with diced Roma tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. I’ve even made it with heirloom tomatoes with great success.
You can use fresh, frozen or canned corn depending on what is available near you. If you use fresh corn, you’ll want to grill it or boil it, then slice the kernels off the cob. I love to use grilled corn when possible. Thaw frozen corn before use.
Yes, you can eat raw corn in salads. That being said, I tend to prefer the texture of cooked corn, which is why I use the cooked version in this recipe. You can choose which type you prefer and the salad will come out great either way.
The primary component of corn salad is corn kernels, and the corn is often paired with other veggies such as peppers, onions, avocado, tomatoes or even a protein such as black beans.
Corn salad is typically a great choice for a healthy diet. Corn, tomatoes and avocado contain many different vitamins and minerals. In addition, the salad uses olive oil which is considered to be a healthier choice.
Avocado Corn Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is delicious as-is, but you can add other ingredients to make it your own.
- Protein: Turn this salad into a main course by adding rotisserie chicken, grilled shrimp or a can of black beans.
- Vegetables: Amp up the nutrition by incorporating extra veggies such as bell peppers, baby spinach leaves or cucumber.
- Add-Ins: Try stirring in some toasted pumpkin seeds, parsley, garlic powder, lime zest, finely grated cotija cheese, canned roasted green chilies or sliced black olives. If you want a little heat in your salad, stir in 1 tablespoon of minced jalapeno. You can also add a little sour cream to the dressing to add a bit of creaminess to the dish.
- Pasta: Make it a pasta salad by doubling the amount of dressing and adding 8 ounces of cooked short pasta.
I make this avocado corn salad all year round. It’s a great way to get a dose of veggies with plenty of zesty flavor.
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Avocado Corn Salad
For the salad
- 4 cups corn kernels fresh, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 2 avocados diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped, plus more for garnish
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the salad
- Place the corn kernels, cherry tomatoes, red onion, avocado and cilantro in a large bowl.
For the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro.
- If you’re planning to make this salad in advance, wait to add the avocado until right before you serve it.
- For fresh corn, grill or boil the corn on the cob, then slice the cooked kernels off for the salad.