This black bean and corn salsa is a blend of fresh tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, corn kernels and beans, all mixed together to make a zesty and flavorful dip. Serve your salsa with a side of tortilla chips, or use it as a topping for meat or seafood.
In my opinion, homemade salsa is the best kind of salsa! Some of our favorites include pineapple salsa, mango salsa and this super easy black bean and corn version.
When I need a fast appetizer that I know everyone will love, I turn to chips and salsa. It’s always a big hit no matter the occasion! I love to offer this fresh and fabulous black bean and corn salsa. It takes 15 minutes to put together, can be made in advance, and also happens to be healthy too!
How do you make black bean and corn salsa?
Start by dicing tomatoes into bite sized pieces. Place the tomatoes in a bowl with black beans, corn, jalapeno, red onion, salt, cilantro and lime juice. Stir everything together. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
Tips for the perfect dip
- I prefer to use Roma tomatoes for this dish, as they have a firm texture with minimal seeds.
- Be sure to cut your tomatoes into very small pieces so that the salsa can easily be scooped up with chips.
- This is a mild salsa, as the recipe calls for removing the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno which is where the spice lies. If you prefer a salsa with more heat, add some of the ribs or seeds into the mix.
- You can use canned, fresh or frozen corn in this dish. I typically use thawed frozen corn as I always have it on hand. If you’re using fresh corn, you’ll want to cook it before adding it to the salsa.
- I used red onion here because it’s sweeter and doesn’t have the harsh flavor that can sometimes come along with white onions. You can also use green onions if you prefer.
- Black bean and corn salsa tastes best if it you let it sit for at least 20 minutes before you plan to serve it so that the flavors can come together.
Make ahead instructions
Black bean salsa can be prepared up to 8 hours in advance. Simply prepare the recipe as directed, then store it covered in the refrigerator. Let the salsa sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before you serve it.
Black bean and corn salsa flavor variations
This salsa is delicious as-is, but you can switch up the ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Tomatoes: Instead of diced Roma tomatoes, try chopped cherry tomatoes or use a can of fire roasted tomatoes that’s been drained.
- Corn: Some stores sell frozen roasted corn kernels, which adds a smoky flavor to the salsa. You can also grill fresh corn for a similar flavor.
- Veggies: Feel free to add other vegetables to the salsa such as roasted diced poblano peppers, bell peppers or even diced grilled zucchini.
- Avocado: In my opinion, avocado makes everything better. Try dicing a medium one and adding it into the salsa.
You simply can’t go wrong with this salsa, whether it’s for a snack or to dress up tacos, grilled chicken or seared steak!
More Mexican inspired recipes you’ll enjoy
Black Bean and Corn Salsa Video
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 1 cup diced Roma tomatoes cored and seeded
- 3/4 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh, thawed from frozen or canned
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, then minced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- the juice of one lime
- salt to taste
- Place the tomatoes, beans, corn, red onion, jalapeno and garlic in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice and salt. Stir gently until everything is mixed together.
- Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Serve, or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
This is very delicious-we grilled our home grown corn and used our home grown poblano pepper instead of jalapeño. We will definitely make this again.
Easy, healthy and delicious!
Made this with some fish tacos and chips and it did not disappoint! Easy, quick, and adds the perfect amount of flavor!
Oh my, this sounds amazing! I could eat this with a spoon.
One of my favorite salsa recipes ever! I love making this for potlucks and BBQs!
Yumm!! This is a perfect summer time appetizer for the summer time..
Corn and beans are two of my kids favorite things. Not to mention their love for chips. I can’t wait to try your black bean and corn salsa, they are going to love it!
Everyone went wild over this salsa! It was so simple, and the fresh cilantro and jalapeno added the perfect kick of flavor. Next time I’m going to take your suggestion for some avocado!
OH this looks great. Love anything with black beans and coriander. Think this will go well with our veggie burgers tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe 🙂
This salsa is so yummy and tasty! We made tacos the other night and still had leftovers, so we put this salsa on top. So delicious and very flavorful!
I love this not only as a dip but to top my chicken or fish with its so versatile and a great recipe!
This is one of my favorite salsas. It’s so yummy and we use it in/on so many different dishes!