This air fryer steak is tender beef coated in seasonings, then air fried to golden brown perfection and topped with garlic and herb butter. An easy yet elegant meal that’s super easy to prepare and tastes like it came from a restaurant!
You can never go wrong with a nice cut of beef for dinner, and this air fryer steak recipe is an effortless way to get a memorable meal on the table in no time at all. The garlic butter takes just minutes to prepare, and really turns this dish into something special!
How do you make air fryer steak?
Start by letting the meat rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. This will allow the meat to cook more evenly. Brush your steaks with a little olive oil, then season them generously with salt and pepper. Place the steaks in the air fryer, and make sure they’re not overlapping or touching so that there is room for air to circulate. Cook the steaks, flipping them halfway through. While the steaks are cooking, mix together softened butter, garlic, herbs and seasonings. After the steaks are finished cooking, let them rest for 5 minutes. Add a spoonful of herb butter on top, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect dish
- I like to use a well marbled steak for this recipe, as I find the added fat helps to protect it from drying out. My favorite cut to use is rib eye, but New York Strip would also work just fine. I typically go for bone-in steak as I find it has more flavor and is more tender than boneless cuts.
- It is very impotant to not crowd your steaks. If there’s not room to comfortably fit two steaks in your air fryer basket, then it’s better to cook them one at a time.
- Let your air fryer preheat for at least 10 minutes before you add the steak. This helps to create the golden brown crust.
- You can prepare the herb butter up to 24 hours before you plan to use it.
- Leftover steak will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How long does it take to cook steak in an air fryer?
This recipe works best with steak that is at least 1 inch thick. Thicker steaks will have time to brown on the outside without overcooking on the inside. You can use a meat thermometer to see when your steak is cooked to your desired level of doneness. Be sure to flip your steak halfway through the cooking time!
- For rare, cook for 8 minutes to 130 degrees F.
- Medium rare should cook for 9-10 minutes to 135 degrees F.
- For medium, cook for 11-12 minutes to 145 degrees F.
- Medium well should cook for 12-14 minutes to 150 degrees F.
- Well done cooks for 15-17 minutes to 160 degrees F.
Air fryer steak flavor variations
This steak is fabulous as-is, but you can change up the flavors to make your own creations.
- Cajun: Coat the steak with olive oil, salt, pepper and 1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Cook as directed. Add 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning to the butter mixture.
- Italian: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning over the steak. Cook according to the recipe. Add 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese to the garlic butter mixture.
- Garlic Lover’s: Coat the steak with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Double the amount of garlic in the butter.
- Mexican: Rub the steak with 2 teaspoons taco seasoning. Stir 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning into the butter, and swap out the thyme for cilantro.
I love how simple this recipe is, and it produces great results each and every time!
Sides to serve with air fryer steak
Air Fryer Steak Video
Air Fryer Steak with Garlic Butter
- 2 rib eye steaks I prefer bone-in, 12-16 ounces each
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley or chives, plus more for garnish
- Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for at least 10 minutes.
- Brush the olive oil over the steaks. Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks in a single layer in the air fryer. They should not overlap or touch.
- Cook for 6 minutes per side for medium level of doneness.
- While the steaks are cooking, place the butter, garlic and herbs in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes after they come out of the air fryer. Place a dollop of butter on top of each steak.
- Slice the steak. Garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired, then serve.