This air fryer asparagus is tender stalks of asparagus coated in olive oil, garlic and an assortment of herbs and seasonings, then cooked to tender and browned perfection. A 10 minute side dish that’s the perfect accompaniment to almost any main course option.
I serve a green vegetable with dinner almost every night, and my kids always devour asparagus when it’s on the menu. This air fryer asparagus is loaded with flavor and can be on the table in a matter of minutes!
How do you trim asparagus?
The bottom of asparagus is tough and woody, and can be unpleasant to eat. You’ll want to trim the ends off your asparagus stalks before you proceed with this recipe. The best way to figure out where to trim your asparagus is to take a single stalk and bend it. Where the stalk snaps is where the tender part starts and the woody part ends. Line up all your asparagus stalks, then trim the bottom off each one in the same spot as where the first piece of asparagus snapped in half.
How do you make air fryer asparagus?
Coat your asparagus stalks in a mix of olive oil, garlic powder, dried herbs and seasonings. Place the asparagus in the air fryer, then cook until the asparagus is just tender. The cook time may vary a bit depending on the thickness of your asparagus. Add a sprinkling of parsley and you’ll be ready to eat!
Tips for the Perfect Air Fryer Asparagus
- I prefer to use medium to thick asparagus stalks for this recipe – the really thin ones easily overcook and can get mushy.
- Serve this asparagus as a side dish, or cut it into bite size pieces and add it to pasta, pizza, salads or sandwiches.
- Air fryer asparagus can be made a day in advance and reheated, but I prefer to serve it freshly cooked.
- This recipe calls for dried Italian seasoning which is available at most grocery stores and consists of a mix of dried herbs including basil, oregano, thyme and parsley. If you don’t have Italian seasoning on hand, it’s fine substitute your favorite dried herb.
Is asparagus healthy?
Asparagus is full of nutrients that are part of a healthy diet such as Vitamins A, C and K. This veggie also contains folate, iron, copper and calcium. Asparagus is high fiber and low in calories and carbohydrates.
Air fryer asparagus flavor variations
There are so many different ways to flavor your asparagus! Sometimes I make this recipe as written, and other days I add other ingredients to mix things up a bit.
- Bacon: Stir in 1/3 cup of cooked and crumbled bacon right before serving.
- Cheese: Sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of grated parmesan or crumbled feta cheese right before serving.
- Nuts: Sprinkle 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts or thinly sliced almonds over the asparagus when it comes out of the air fryer.
You cannot go wrong with this recipe – it’s healthy, tastes amazing and is ready in no time.
More great ways to enjoy asparagus
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Chicken Asparagus Pasta
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry with Asparagus
- Grilled Salmon and Asparagus Foil Packets
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Air Fryer Asparagus Video
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus stalks trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or your favorite dried herb
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped
- lemon wedges for serving optional
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus stalks in a single layer on a plate. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the asparagus and toss to coat evenly.
- Place the asparagus in the air fryer. Set the temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Cook for 6 minutes until asparagus is tender and tips are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve. Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.