These air fryer chicken wings come out perfectly crispy every time, and cook so much faster than they would in a traditional oven. Toss your air fryer wings in buffalo sauce, then watch the rave reviews come in!
I am in love with my air fryer, it turns everyday food ingredients into culinary delights! These air fryer chicken wings taste like they came straight out of a deep fat fryer, but with no added oil.
How do you make air fryer chicken wings?
Start by patting your wings dry, then seasoning them with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Place the wings in a single layer in the air fryer, then cook until golden brown and crispy. Prepare the sauce by mixing together hot sauce, melted butter and honey. Pour the sauce over the wings, then toss until the wings are completely coated in sauce. Serve immediately, with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing if desired.
Tips for the perfect wings
- I use party style wings, which are wings where the drumette and the flats are separated. If you have full sized wings, you’ll want to cut them in half crosswise to get the same effect.
- It is super important not to crowd your wings in the air fryer. If the wings are too close together, the hot air will not have enough room to circulate and the chicken won’t get as crispy.
- These wings are best when eaten immediately, as they will eventually lose their crispy texture when the sauce soaks into the outer layer.
- This recipe works well as an appetizer, or you can serve it as a main course with side dishes such as mashed potatoes or rice, and a green vegetable like asparagus or broccoli.
How long do wings take in the air fryer?
These wings will take 10-12 minutes per side to cook, for a total of 20-24 minutes. The time can vary a bit depending on the model of your air fryer, or the size of your wings. You’ll know that they are done when the wings are deep golden brown and crisp.
How many wings can fit in an air fryer?
This all depends on the size of your air fryer! I find you can fit more wings in the toaster-oven style air fryers because the trays are rectangular and it’s easier to arrange the wings. As mentioned before, it’s important to keep your wings in a single layer. If you have a smaller air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
Air fryer chicken wings flavor variations
I love the savory, spicy flavor of buffalo wings, but you could just as easily toss the plain cooked wings in other types of sauce.
- BBQ: Brush 1/2 cup of store bought or homemade BBQ sauce over the wings.
- Garlic Butter: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter with 1 teaspoon minced garlic in the microwave for 30 seconds. Let cool slightly, then stir in 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Teriyaki: Bring 1/2 cup store bought teriyaki sauce to a simmer on the stove. Mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons of corn starch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Pour the corn starch mixture into the sauce and boil for 30 seconds or until sauce has thickened.
In my opinion, there’s no better chicken wings than air fryer chicken wings!
More chicken wing recipes to try
- Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
- Grilled Chicken Wings
- Fried Chicken Wings
- Smoked Chicken Wings
- Baked Buffalo Wings
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Video
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 1/2 pounds party style chicken wings can also use whole chicken wings that have been halved crosswise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup hot sauce such as Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- celery sticks and ranch or blue cheese dressing for serving.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, then toss to coat.
- Place the wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket or tray. You may need to work in batches if they don't all fit at once.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through the cooking time, until the wings are deep golden brown and crispy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, butter and honey.
- Remove the wings from the air fryer. Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve immediately with celery sticks and ranch or blue cheese dressing.