These vegetarian fajitas are an assortment of peppers, onions and mushrooms, all cooked together with the perfect blend of spices. A quick and easy meatless meal option that’s packed with flavor!
My family loves Mexican food, and I make our favorite recipes almost every week including zesty salsa verde, savory black beans and rice, and these vegetable fajitas.
I can never resist a plate of sizzling fajitas, it’s one of my favorite things to order in a restaurant. These vegetarian fajitas feature four types of peppers, sweet red onions and plenty of mushrooms for a meal that will not have you missing the meat.
How do you make vegetarian fajitas?
Start by slicing sweet bell peppers, poblano peppers, mushrooms and red onions. Cook the vegetables over high heat until they’re tender and the edges are charred. Sprinkle a homemade spice blend over the veggies, then cook for a few more minutes to let the flavors come together. Sprinkle with cilantro, then serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.
Tips for the perfect dish
- It’s important to cook your vegetables in a very hot pan to get that characteristic char and smoky flavor.
- Leftover fajitas will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can reheat them on the stove or in the microwave.
- Be sure to cut your vegetables into similar sized pieces so that they cook at the same rate.
- I like to cut up my vegetables early in the day then store them in the fridge until I’m ready for dinner. This makes it so easy to get a meal on the table in just minutes.
- If you like spicy food, you can add some minced jalapeno or crushed red pepper flakes to the dish.
- I like poblano peppers because they add a lot of flavor but are not spicy. They are also sometimes sold as pasilla peppers. If you can’t find them, you can use anaheim peppers or else green bell peppers.
- Red, yellow and orange bell peppers all taste the same, so feel free to use just one color if you prefer. I think it looks more appetizing with all the colors, but it doesn’t really change the taste of the dish.
What is traditionally served with fajitas?
Fajitas are typically served with tortillas. You can choose corn or flour tortillas, whatever you prefer. For fully loaded fajitas, you’ll also want to serve Mexican rice and beans, salsa, sour cream and guacamole. You can also serve other toppings such as pickled jalapenos, roasted corn or olives.
Vegetarian fajitas flavor variations
While this dish is fabulous as-is, you can change up the ingredients to make the flavors your own.
- Protein: Add some extra protein to the mix by using slabs or cubes of extra firm tofu.
- Veggies: Feel free to stir in extra vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, zucchini, asparagus or
- Mushrooms: While I typically use button mushrooms, portobello or crimini mushrooms are also great choices.
Try these fajitas for dinner tonight, I promise you won’t miss the meat!
More Mexican Style Recipes to try
Vegetarian Fajitas Video
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups sliced bell peppers red, orange, yellow or a combination
- 3/4 cup poblano pepper sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- lime wedges for serving optional
- corn or flour tortillas
- fajita fixings of your choice such as rice, beans, sour cream, salsa and guacamole
- Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the peppers, mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and charred on the edges. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, cumin, onion powder and smoked paprika over the vegetables.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the cilantro over the top and serve. Garnish with lime wedges if desired. Serve the tortillas and toppings on the side.
These fajitas are full of flavor! My husband didn’t think he’d like them since they are meatless but we both love them. We have them with your pinto beans recipe and some cilantro lime rice. Thanks for this healthy recipe!
Great meatless recipe that was so tasty!
These vegetarian fajitas are packed full of flavour. A great alternative to meat ones!
Yay for healthier alternatives. This looks really delicious, too!
Fajitas are my favorite – going to try this recipe!
I’ve not had fajitas for ages but I do love them and these look so so good
We love fajitas. This vegetarian version will be perfect for a meatless Monday meal. Yum!
Mushrooms and peppers go so well together and one of my favourites. My family will love this! Thanks.
My family loves Mexican food too and your fajitas are one of our favorite recipes to make! It’s super flavorful, filling, and comes together pretty quickly which makes it great for busy weeknights!
Oh my goodness – I swear I can smell this from this side of my computer screen! Your veggies look mouthwatering! Simply tastebud tantalizing! I cannot wait to try this recipe out!
Delicious addition to my Meatless Monday routine. I added some red chili flakes to add some spice and it was a big hit with my family. Thanks for the inspiration today!
Love this recipe, great flavour and meat free meal for the whole family!