This easy stromboli recipe is tender dough stuffed with ham, cheese and broccoli, then baked to a golden brown. It’s a 5 ingredient dinner that’s ready in just 30 minutes!
This post is sponsored by Smithfield. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
When I’m looking for a fast dinner for the family, I often turn to homemade pizza. My kids would eat pizza every day if I let them! In an effort to switch things up a bit, I took the pizza concept and rolled it up – into a stromboli! This easy stromboli recipe is pizza dough that’s filled with ham, cheese and broccoli, then rolled into a loaf and baked. It’s a fun dinner that’s a cinch to put together and is most definitely kid approved!
This stromboli recipe starts with the dough. I recommend using store bought pizza dough to same time, you can choose your favorite brand. I prefer to use the kind that comes in a tube for this recipe because it’s already in a rectangle shape when you unroll it. The dough is spread onto a sheet pan and topped with diced ham, cheddar cheese and broccoli. I use Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Boneless Ham Steak for my stromboli; it’s so convenient! Smithfield Anytime Favorites come in 20 different cuts and are perfect for quick and easy meals, especially during back to school season! Select Smithfield Anytime Favorites are available in grocery stores nationwide; I always have one or two on hand in the fridge for when I need to throw dinner together in a hurry.
There are two ways to make your stromboli loaf. You can simply roll it up and seal the ends, or you can fold strips of dough over the top to make a pretty pattern. It’s actually really easy to make the pattern, just use a pizza cutter to make strips of dough along the edges, wrap it, and bake!
I brush the top of my stromboli with an egg wash to ensure a shiny brown crust. After the stromboli comes out of the oven, simply slice and serve!
My whole family loved this meal – it’s full of classic flavors served in a fun way. This stromboli recipe is most definitely going into our permanent dinner rotation!
Ham and Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- 1 14-16 ounce tube or ball of pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup cooked broccoli florets roughly chopped
- 1 8 ounce Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Boneless Ham Steak cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- optional garnish: chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the pizza dough into a rectangle that covers the area of the sheet pan, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border on all sides.
- Place the ham, cheese and broccoli down the middle of the dough.
- Roll the dough up jelly roll style, seal the edges and cut some vents on top, OR cut 1/2 inch strips on the sides of the dough with a pizza cutter, then alternatively criss cross one strip of dough from each side to make a pattern, folding the edges over on the top and bottom of the stromboli.
- Brush the lightly beaten egg over the top and sides of the dough.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until stromboli is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped parsley if desired, cut into slices, and serve.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smithfield.