This recipe for peppermint brownies is fudgy chocolate squares topped with cream cheese frosting and chopped candy canes. The perfect holiday treat!
No one will ever be able to guess that these rich and decadent brownies came from a boxed mix. They’re a festive addition to any cookie tray or holiday dessert table!
I’m almost done with my holiday baking extravaganza, and I have to say, I saved one of the best for last: these amazingly delicious peppermint brownies. We’ve got layers of chocolate brownie, peppermint cream cheese frosting, chocolate topping AND crushed candy canes. How can you go wrong with that?
How to make peppermint brownies
The first step to making peppermint brownies is baking up a box of brownie mix. You can use whatever brand and flavor you like here. After the brownies are baked and cooled, they’re topped with an easy homemade peppermint frosting.
The final step in the process is a layer of chocolate with crushed candy canes on top. These brownies are so very pretty and impressive looking, yet so very simple to make.
These brownies do need to chill in between adding each layer so that the layers don’t run into each other. That being said, the crushed candy canes should be added at the same time that you spread on the chocolate, that way they’ll adhere properly.
The hardest part about making these brownies is getting them cut into neat squares. I slice the brownies when they’re chilled and clean my knife in between cuts to get the neatest possible end result.
I just love all the flavors and textures going on here – all that glorious chocolate, the cooling mint flavor, the crunchy cane canes and the creamy frosting. These are truly some of the best brownies I’ve ever had, I’m definitely not waiting until next winter to make them again!
More holiday recipes
- Christmas Wreath Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookies
- Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
- Stained Glass Cookies
- Avalanche Cookies
- 1 box brownie mix
- eggs, oil and water as called for on the box of brownie mix
- cooking spray
For the peppermint frosting"
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the chocolate topping:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x9 inch square pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions.
- Cool completely in the pan.
- To make the frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the milk and beat until blended. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Spread the peppermint frosting evenly over the brownies, then chill in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- For the chocolate topping: Place the chocolate chips and butter in a bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir until smooth. Spread evenly over the cream cheese layer and top with crushed candy canes.
- Chill the brownies for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Remove from the pan using the parchment overhang and cut into squares, then serve.
- Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.
- For neat cuts, slice the brownies while they're cold and wipe the knife clean with a paper towel in between cuts.
- To crush candy canes, place them in a sealed plastic bag and cover with a towel. Use a rolling pin or the flat end of a meat mallet to crush the candy.
This post has been sponsored by MARS, Pillsbury, and Ziploc. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This post was originally published on November 20, 2016 and was updated on December 10, 2017 with new photos and content.
These are perfect holiday dessert! I can’t wait to make a batch of these!
yum!! these sound so so delicious. i bet anyone would enjoy these!
This is a very nice holiday dessert. It has so many great ingredients!
Brownies are so amazing. They taste so good that you think they are perfect the way they are and then you realize they can get even better! I need to try this!
These brownies look delicious. I love anything that combines peppermint and chocolate.
I can really use one right now!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve never heard of brownies with peppermint. This is epic. I will definitely make this recipe next week. Thank you.
Oh my these peppermint brownies look so delicious and easy to make. I am sure they will be a big hit in my house. I will have to give this recipe a try on the weekend.
Oh my goodness! These look heavenly and what a perfect holiday treat! I will have to try this out.
I’ve never seen brownies this festive! They look super tasty too!
As if brownies couldn’t get much better, this recipe pops up! This is awesome! I love that you added the peppermint to the brownies, the combination of peppermint and chocolate is such a delight!
These sound so good! I’m definitely ready for more peppermint treats and these would be perfect!
These brownies are so awesome! Peppermint and brownies together? Count me in!
Ok, so I just got a new 32 inch monitor and let me tell you, these look AWESOME on it! Give me them all!
These are so cute and festive. Perfect for upcoming Christmas dinners.
OMG, those are fudgey, layered bars of Heaven! I love the added peppermint. It’s my favorite Christmas flavor. Om nom nom.
Those brownies sound SO good. I am super excited to whip up a batch of them.
What a great idea to change up brownies!
What a great easy idea to make brownies more festive! My family would love them!
OMG! I just love peppermint and brownies!
The brownies look amazing! I love the idea of peppermint brownies for the holidays!