These Oreo brownies are rich and fudgy bars loaded with chocolate chips and a layer of Oreo cookies. A decadent treat that’s easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd.
You can never go wrong with Oreo desserts, I find that sweets such as Oreo balls and Oreo cheesecake are always a hit! Oreo brownies are great for all of the chocolate lovers in your life, I always get rave reviews when I serve them at parties.
Brownies are amazing on their own, but when you add a hefty dose of Oreo cookies to the mix, you end up with a unique and decadent dessert that people go crazy over! I brought these brownies to a party the other night and they disappeared in minutes.
How do you make Oreo brownies?
The first step is to make the batter, which is full of melted chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs, cocoa powder and flour. A generous amount of chocolate chips are also added to the mix. Half the batter goes into a pan, and a layer of Oreo cookies is added before the final layer of batter. Add some more crushed cookies and chocolate chips on top of the brownies, then you’re ready to bake them up.
Tips for Oreo brownies
- This recipe uses semisweet chocolate chips as the primary flavoring agent. The chocolate is both melted into the batter and stirred in as chips. Do not use Nestle Toll House chocolate chips for this recipe. Nestle chocolate chips do not melt smoothly and will not work in these brownies. I recommend using Guittard or Ghirardelli chocolate chips.
- These brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- I recommend cutting these brownies into small pieces as they’re quite rich!
Oreo brownie variations
There are so many different ways to customize this recipe to make it your own!
- Oreo Flavors: I typically use the classic Oreo in this recipe, but you can use mint, chocolate, or peanut butter Oreo cookies for a different flavor.
- Chocolate: Instead of stirring semisweet chocolate chips into the batter, you can use white chocolate, milk chocolate, butterscotch or peanut butter chips instead.
- Candy: Instead of chocolate chips, try chopped peanut butter cups, mini M&M’s or toffee bits.
What makes brownies fudgy?
These brownies are of the fudgy variety, which I prefer over the more cake-like brownies. Fudgy brownies have a higher fat to flour ratio, which means they contain more chocolate and butter than the cake style variety. Cake-like brownies also tend to contain more eggs than fudgy brownies.
Can you freeze brownies?
Oreo brownies are a great candidate for the freezer. Simply wrap the bars individually with plastic wrap, then place them in a resealable bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. You can thaw your brownies at room temperature when you’re ready to eat them.
Once you get a taste of these amazing treats, you’ll never want to make regular old brownies again!
More delicious dessert options
- Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Oreo Peppermint Cookies
- Cookies & Cream Blondies
- Mint Brownies
- Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips divided use
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 Oreo cookies
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang of parchment on both sides. Coat the parchment lined pan with cooking spray.
- Place the butter and 1 1/3 cups of chocolate chips into a large bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until just melted. Stir until smooth.
- Let the chocolate mixture cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, then whisk in the eggs, one by one. Finally, whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt to the bowl. Stir gently until just combined. Fold in 1/3 cup of the remaining chocolate chips.
- Spread half of the batter in an even layer in the pan. Arrange 16 Oreo cookies on top of the batter.
- Add the rest of the batter to the pan and spread evenly over the Oreo cookie layer.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 8 cookies. Arrange the chopped cookies and the last 1/3 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the brownies.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let the brownies cool completely.
- Use the parchment overhang to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut into squares, then serve.
I have made the cake with your recipe and it was great. Thanks! But I do have a question: although, I pour one third of the paste in the mold and I press the cookies well into the paste, during the baking process, the biscuits keep popping up to the surface and just don’t stay in the middle of the brownie. Is there a way to fix this? Many thanks
You can dust them with a little flour to keep them in place!
Delicious! Definitely wait until the brownies are cooled. I thought my first batch were and cut too early. Oops! But they are still yummy. I had to keep others from trying to eat them before a party.
I made these for a potluck and they were the first to disappear. Rave reviews and recipe requests. I did add a teaspoon of expresso powder as I do with most of my chocolate recipes.
From Philippines. I try this a while ago. It turns out super good!! 💛 I love your recipe! Thank you for this. 💛
We love Oreos and these brownies! I served them with ice cream and they were yummy!
We just loved it..tooo yummy…but now I want my veg friends also should n’joy this brownie so can you please suggest me what can put instead of 2 eggs and how much?
instead of two eggs you can make a flax egg or a chia egg which is 1tbsp flax seeds and 3tbsp water.
I will try this recipe for sure. Do you have a video tutorial explaining the layers involved in organising oreos? It would be of immense help!
This recipe is really delicious and I am so excited to make something that looks terrific as this thankyou for the recipe and I’m only twelve, you are a food maker inspiration! If that made sense.
These look delicious! I’m going to make them soon. How did you make such clean cuts especially through the Oreos?
Chill them before cutting!
I went crazy with these and served them with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate fudge sauce! OMG was it delicious!
Best brownie ever!
These are seriously the BEST brownies! I love it! Thanks for sharing!
These brownies were exactly what I needed after a long stressful day. Seriously so good!
Geez are these dangerous!! They look and sounds amazing, can’t wait to try them out.
These are the most indulgent brownies EVER! My Oreo loving family already asked for them again. Thank you for the awesome recipe!
These are a DREAM!! Full of chocolate goodness!
I am mouthwatering! Such a great idea to make Oreo brownies! The best combo!
These are on my must-make list! These look outstanding!!
This would satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth, I cannot wait to try this!
This is my new favorite brownie recipe. Absolutely fabulous.
These Oreo brownies are so decadent and will make any Oreo lover a very happy person!!