Your search for the perfect homemade chex mix ends here – this from scratch chex mix is SO much better than the recipe on the box!
Once you try making your own chex party mix, you’ll never go back to the store bought kind again! It takes just minutes to make in the microwave and is the perfect snack for game day, birthday parties and lunch boxes.
January is kind of a funny month, because everyone is trying to eat healthy….but everyone is also eating football food on the weekends! So I decided to bring you a little bit healthy recipes, a little bit game day grub. I can’t believe I haven’t shared this homemade chex mix recipe with you yet, I’ve been making it for years! This party mix is at every birthday party, every family gathering. And this batch pictured here? Didn’t even last 24 hours!
How to make homemade chex mix
Every box of Chex cereal comes with a recipe for Chex mix printed on it. But I’m sorry to say, their recipe is not the best. THIS is the best homemade Chex mix. And of course now I need to explain why. First of all, not all Chex varieties are created equal. Corn and rice chex are definitely superior to wheat chex, so I reduced the amount of wheat chex in this recipe.
For the rest of the mix-ins, I use a combination of pretzels, mixed nuts, oyster crackers and cheese crackers, which is a little different than what is called for in the classic recipe. The crackers add great flavor and crunch, sometimes I even use goldfish crackers if I’m making a batch for the kids.
There is one other thing that makes this recipe special, and it’s the seasoning salt. The ingredients of seasoning salt can vary widely, and my absolute favorite is the smoky seasoned salt from Penzeys. It has smoked paprika in the mix which really adds a unique flavor to this chex mix. You can find it on Amazon or on the Penzeys website.
Don’t have Penzeys seasoning? Use a standard seasoned salt from your grocery store and add 1/2 a teaspoon of smoked paprika to get the same effect.
Chex mix can be made in the oven or in the microwave; I’ve only ever made it in the microwave and it comes out perfectly every time. This chex mix can also be made up to a week before serving, which is perfect for planning ahead!
Once you try this homemade chex mix, you’ll be hooked – the pre-made stuff in the bag simply can’t compete. This recipe is perfect for pretty much any occasion, so stock up on cereal and give it a go!
More party food ideas
Chex Mix Video
Homemade Chex Mix
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 11/2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups oyster crackers
- 1 cup cheese crackers
- 1 cup pretzel twists
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt I highly recommend Penzeys smoky seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Place the cereal, crackers, pretzels and nuts into a large microwave safe bowl.
- Mix together the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and onion powder.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cereal and toss to coat evenly.
- Microwave for 5-6 minutes, stirring thoroughly every 2 minutes; then spread onto paper towels to cool.
- Serve immediately or store in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
- You can omit the nuts and use more of the crackers and pretzels in the same quantities if allergies are a concern.
- When I make this chex mix for kids, I often use the rainbow colored goldfish crackers instead of standard cheese crackers to make it more fun and eye catching!