This sausage balls recipe is a blend of pork sausage, cheddar cheese, bisquick and seasonings, all formed into balls and baked to golden brown perfection. A classic appetizer recipe that’s great for feeding a crowd!
When I’m entertaining, I like to offer a variety of hot appetizers including little smokies, bacon cheese fries and these hearty sausage balls. These sausage bites are the first thing to disappear at any party.
Sausage balls are a traditional party snack for good reason – they have just a handful of ingredients, are super easy to make and are totally delicious! My version uses plenty of cheese to really take the flavor to the next level.
How do you make sausage balls?
Place sausage, bisquick, cheddar cheese, onion, garlic and seasonings in a bowl. Mix until everything is thoroughly combined and makes a stiff dough. Scoop out the sausage mixture and form into balls. Place the balls on a sheet pan, then bake until golden brown and cooked through. Add a sprinkle of parsley, then serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Tips for the perfect sausage balls
- I use rolls of bulk pork sausage such as Jimmy Dean. This sausage is readily available in the breakfast meat area of most grocery stores.
- Use a measuring spoon or small cookie scoop to portion out the sausage mixture so that all of the balls are the same size and cook at the same rate.
- Skip the bags of pre-shredded cheese at the store and grate your own cheddar. The store bought shredded cheese is often coated with anti caking agents and preservatives and does not melt smoothly.
- You can use a spoon to mix the sausage mixture, or put everything into the bowl of a mixer to make the job go even faster.
- Sausage balls stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can freeze the balls for up to 2 months. Reheat any leftovers in the oven at 325 degrees F until warmed through.
- This recipe is typically made with Bisquick baking mix, but another similar brand will also work just fine.
- I typically serve this dish with a side of honey mustard sauce for dipping, but other great options include ketchup, ranch, BBQ sauce or horseradish sauce.
- You can prepare the sausage mixture and roll the balls up to 8 hours before you plan to bake them.
While this recipe is fabulous as-is, feel free to add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Sausage: Swap out the breakfast style sausage for Italian sausage or turkey sausage. Just be sure to use uncooked sausage, not the cooked or smoked varieties.
- Cheese: Instead of cheddar, try colby jack, swiss, mozzarella or pepper jack. Parmesan cheese is also a great choice.
- Flavorings: Stir in some spices such as smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning or chili powder.
- Herbs: Add in a handful of finely chopped fresh herbs including green onions, parsley or thyme.
When you’re looking for an easy appetizer that’s sure to please, these sausage bites always hit the spot!
More appetizer recipes to try
Sausage Balls Video
- 2 16 ounce rolls pork sausage such as Jimmy Dean
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose baking mix such as Bisquick
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup onion finely grated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the sausage, baking mix, cheese, onion, garlic, milk and black pepper in a bowl; stir until thoroughly combined. A stand mixers works great for this!
- Roll the meat mixture into 1 inch balls and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with parsley then serve immediately with a dipping sauce of your choice.