These cake mix cookies are a 5 ingredient dessert that can be made in tons of different flavors and decorated for any occasion. An easy treat that takes just minutes to put together.
Sometimes I find myself in situations where I need a quick homemade treat at the last minute. I always keep a box of cake mix in the pantry so that I can make these cake mix cookies for parties, s school events, or as an afternoon snack. They’re perfectly chewy and can be customized in so many different ways.
How do you make cake mix cookies?
These cookies are made with a box of cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. The ingredients are stirred together until a thick dough forms. I like to add some sprinkles to the dough, then roll the balls of dough in more sprinkles for a festive look. I mixed a few types of Christmas sprinkles together for a super cheerful cookie. All that’s left is to bake the cookies and then it’s time to enjoy your treat!
Cake Mix Cookie Variations
This is a holiday themed version of cake mix cookies made with white cake, but you can use this basic formula to make pretty much any flavor of cookies. Some of our favorites include
- Chocolate Cake Mix + Chocolate Chips
- Red Velvet Cake Mix + White Chocolate Chips
- Yellow Cake Mix + Toffee Bits
- German Chocolate Cake Mix + Pecans + Coconut
- Chocolate Cake Mix + Chocolate Sprinkles
- Strawberry Cake Mix + Milk Chocolate Chips
- Lemon Cake Mix + White Chocolate Chips
Tips for perfect cookies
- You can make your cookies larger or smaller than what the recipe calls for; just adjust the bake time accordingly. Use a cookie scoop or measuring spoon to make all of your balls of dough the same size.
- Cake mix cookie batter can be stored in the fridge for up 2 days before you plan to use it. If you’re storing your batter for later use, wait to add the sprinkles until just before you bake your cookies.
- Store your cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- These cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months. Store the cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag, then thaw at room temperature.
This is a great recipe to make with the kids because the ingredient list is so simple, and my girls just love rolling the cookie balls in the sprinkles. You can customize your sprinkle colors for any occasion. The cookies pictured are decorated for Christmas, but I’ve also made them with Halloween and Easter sprinkles.
Cake mix cookies are a hit with both adults and kids, it’s so worth it to keep a box of cake mix in your kitchen for when you need a quick treat!
More quick dessert ideas
Cake Mix Cookies Video
Cake Mix Cookies
- 18 1/4 ounce box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sprinkles divided use
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the white cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the sprinkles.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of sprinkles onto a plate. Roll the balls of dough around in the sprinkles to coat.
- Place the balls of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. You will need to work in batches.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set and lightly browned
- Cool, then remove from the baking sheet and repeat the baking process with the remaining dough. Serve immediately, or store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
This post was originally published on November 28, 2018 and was updated on October 19, 2019 with new content.