This tater tot breakfast casserole is made with bacon, eggs, veggies, potato tots and plenty of cheese, all baked together to create a hearty and delicious meal. The perfect casserole for any breakfast or brunch gathering, and it always gets rave reviews!
When I’m entertaining in the earlier part of the day, I offer plenty of sweet and savory breakfast recipes including delights such as red velvet waffles, stuffed french toast, cheese blintzes, sausage casserole, sweet potato hash, french toast casserole, and this cheesy and delicious tater tot casserole.
I love to offer breakfast casserole recipes for a great start to the day. This tater tot breakfast casserole is a family favorite with crispy potato tots, smoky bacon and of course, melted cheese. This recipe is also great for Christmas morning.
Table of Contents
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
To make this recipe, you will need bacon, yellow onion, bell peppers, frozen tater tots, cheddar cheese, large eggs, milk, salt, black pepper and green onions.
How Do You Make Tater tot Breakfast Casserole?
Start by cooking bacon in a large skillet until it is brown and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, then add onions and bell peppers to the pan. Cook until the veggies are tender. Place the tater tots in a large bowl along with the bacon, veggies and shredded cheese. Toss everything together, then pour the tater tot mixture into a baking dish. Whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings, then pour the eggs over the tater tot mixture. Bake until the eggs have set, then add a layer of shredded cheese during the last 5 minutes. Garnish with bacon and green onions, then serve and enjoy.
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- I prefer to use a combination of both red and green bell peppers, but one color will also work just fine.
- It’s best to grate your own cheese for this recipe. The pre-shredded cheese that comes in bags at the store is often coated in anti caking agents and preservatives and does not melt smoothly.
- Serve your casserole with other brunch favorites such as berry fruit salad, healthy blueberry muffins or a tropical smoothie.
- You can assemble this casserole the night before and store it covered with foil in the fridge for up to 8 hours. In the morning, bake as directed. You may need to add a few more minutes to the bake time to compensate for starting with a cold dish.
There is no need to thaw the tater tots before adding them to the casserole.
This tater tot casserole will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat individual portions in the microwave, or cover the whole baking dish and warm in a 350 degrees F oven. You can also freeze the baked casserole for up to 2 months.
A breakfast casserole typically contains eggs, milk, some type of potato product, cheese and a breakfast meat such as bacon or sausage. It may also have ingredients such as vegetables, ham or bread.
This dish is great as-is, but you can change up the ingredients to customize the flavors to your family’s tastes.
- Protein: Instead of bacon, try using cooked crumbled breakfast sausage, turkey sausage or diced ham. You can also use a combination of meats.
- Veggies: Swap out the peppers and onions for different types of veggies such as cooked zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms or spinach.
- Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese is a classic choice for an egg casserole, but you can use other types of cheese including mozzarella, pepper jack, Monterey jack cheese or Colby.
- Toppings: Finish your casserole with an assortment of toppings such as diced avocado, salsa, a dollop of sour cream or sliced jalapenos.
This casserole is perfect for a lazy weekend, and also makes a great offering for a holiday breakfast. You simply can’t go wrong with the combination of bacon, eggs and cheese!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Video
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound bacon coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 3/4 cup bell peppers chopped, can use red, green or both
- 32 ounces tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided use
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place the bacon in a large pan over medium high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is browned and crispy, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan. Drain off excess grease, leaving about 2 teaspoons of grease in the pan.
- Place the onions and bell peppers in the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Place the tater tots in a large bowl. Add 3/4 of the bacon, the peppers and onions, and 1 1/4 cups of cheese. Toss gently to combine. Reserve the remaining bacon for later use.
- Spread the tater tot mixture into the baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tot mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center is set.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with reserved bacon and green onions, then serve.
- There is no need to thaw the tater tots before adding them to the casserole.
- You can assemble this casserole the night before and store it covered in the fridge for up to 8 hours. In the morning, bake as directed. You may need to add a few more minutes to the bake time to compensate for starting with a cold dish.