This cucumber tomato salad is full of fresh sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion and green peppers, all tossed in an herb dressing. The perfect light and refreshing side dish for any summer meal!
Cucumber salad is a mainstay of summer parties. It’s inexpensive, easy to make and so refreshing on a hot day. My version is a mixture of cucumber, tomato, red onion and green bell pepper for an amazing combination of flavors and textures.
I am in love with summer salads like mango salad, watermelon salad and this cucumber tomato salad. Not only are they easy to make, but they’re just so fresh, and you can eat a lot of salad without feeling weighed down! I especially love when there’s a summer get together and I get to make more than one delicious chilled salad like this one.
This is one of my favorite salads to take to cookouts because it is a real crowd pleaser. If you want a summer feast with this salad try making my favorite grilling recipes like grilled shrimp skewers, grilled chicken breast and Hawaiian chicken! Try these or any of my other fantastic grilling recipes!
Table of Contents
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
The vegetables in this salad include cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, assorted fresh herbs and red onions. A simple vinaigrette dressing is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and dried oregano.
How Do You Make Cucumber Tomato Salad?
Start by slicing your fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and red onions and place them in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for your tasty herb dressing and mix well. Pour the dressing over the top of your vegetables, toss to mix, and you have a perfectly light salad that goes with any summer meal!
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- Any type of cucumber is fine for this tomato salad as long as you remove the seeds before slicing. I’ve made this salad with standard waxed cucumbers, English cucumbers and little Persian cucumbers and it comes out great every time. If you’re using the waxy type of cucumber, you may want to peel them first.
- Red, yellow, or orange bell peppers work just as well as green bell peppers and add a great burst of color.
- I like to use cherry tomatoes, but grape tomatoes and diced ripe tomatoes are also a good choice.
- This salad stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to eat.
You can use a mandoline to easily and quickly cut your cucumbers and onions into thin slices.
Cucumbers are healthy. They are full of vitamins and nutrients. They contain Vitamin C, Vitamin K, magnesium, potassium and manganese. Cucumbers are low calorie, low sodium and low in carbohydrates. Cucumbers are primarily made out of water, which means that consuming them will help you stay hydrated.
I prefer to serve this cucumber tomato as a side dish to proteins such as grilled chicken, steak or fish. The salad also pairs well alongside pizza, pasta or with Greek inspired dishes.
The basic ingredients for cucumber salad include cucumbers, onion, herbs and dressing. This cucumber tomato salad goes a step further with cherry tomatoes and bell peppers.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is great as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize it to your tastes.
- Greek: Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese and 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives.
- Mexican: Stir in a diced avocado, 3/4 cup corn kernels and 1 cup black beans. Swap out the parsley for cilantro.
- Italian: Add 1/2 cup small mozzarella balls along with 1/4 cup diced marinated artichoke hearts. You can also add diced salami and white beans.
- Pasta: Turn this into a pasta salad by adding 3 cups of cooked pasta such as penne or farfalle. Be sure to double the dressing amount if you’re going this route.
I make this salad all summer long. It uses simple ingredients that I always have on hand, and pairs perfectly with salmon, roasted chicken and steak for a healthy and hearty meal.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Video
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 3 cups sliced cucumbers
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs such as parsley, dill, chives or green onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper and herbs in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Toss gently to coat. Serve.
- Red, yellow or orange bell peppers work just as well as green bell peppers and add a great burst of color.
- You can use any type of cucumbers you like, but I recommend peeling standard waxy cucumbers and removing the seeds.
- You can use a mandoline to easily and quickly cut your cucumbers and onions into thin slices.