This cucumber tomato salad is full of fresh sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion and green peppers, all tossed in an herb dressing. The perfect light and refreshing side dish for any summer meal!
Cucumber salad is a mainstay of summer parties. It’s inexpensive, easy to make and so refreshing on a hot day. My version is a mixture of cucumber, tomato, red onion and green bell pepper for an amazing combination of flavors and textures.
I am in love with summer salads like mango salad, watermelon salad and this cucumber tomato salad. Not only are they easy to make, but they’re just so fresh, and you can eat a lot of salad without feeling weighed down! I especially love when there’s a summer get together and I get to make more than one delicious chilled salad like this one.
This is one of my favorite salads to take to cookouts because it is a real crowd pleaser. If you want a summer feast with this salad try making my favorite grilling recipes like grilled shrimp skewers, grilled chicken breast and Hawaiian chicken! Try these or any of my other fantastic grilling recipes!
Table of Contents
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
The vegetables in this salad include cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, assorted fresh herbs and red onions. A simple vinaigrette dressing is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and dried oregano.
How Do You Make Cucumber Tomato Salad?
Start by slicing your fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers and red onions and place them in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for your tasty herb dressing and mix well. Pour the dressing over the top of your vegetables, toss to mix, and you have a perfectly light salad that goes with any summer meal!
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- Any type of cucumber is fine for this tomato salad as long as you remove the seeds before slicing. I’ve made this salad with standard waxed cucumbers, English cucumbers and little Persian cucumbers and it comes out great every time. If you’re using the waxy type of cucumber, you may want to peel them first.
- Red, yellow, or orange bell peppers work just as well as green bell peppers and add a great burst of color.
- I like to use cherry tomatoes, but grape tomatoes and diced ripe tomatoes are also a good choice.
- This salad stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to eat.
You can use a mandoline to easily and quickly cut your cucumbers and onions into thin slices.
Cucumbers are healthy. They are full of vitamins and nutrients. They contain Vitamin C, Vitamin K, magnesium, potassium and manganese. Cucumbers are low calorie, low sodium and low in carbohydrates. Cucumbers are primarily made out of water, which means that consuming them will help you stay hydrated.
I prefer to serve this cucumber tomato as a side dish to proteins such as grilled chicken, steak or fish. The salad also pairs well alongside pizza, pasta or with Greek inspired dishes.
The basic ingredients for cucumber salad include cucumbers, onion, herbs and dressing. This cucumber tomato salad goes a step further with cherry tomatoes and bell peppers.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is great as-is, but you can absolutely add other ingredients to customize it to your tastes.
- Greek: Add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese and 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives.
- Mexican: Stir in a diced avocado, 3/4 cup corn kernels and 1 cup black beans. Swap out the parsley for cilantro.
- Italian: Add 1/2 cup small mozzarella balls along with 1/4 cup diced marinated artichoke hearts. You can also add diced salami and white beans.
- Pasta: Turn this into a pasta salad by adding 3 cups of cooked pasta such as penne or farfalle. Be sure to double the dressing amount if you’re going this route.
I make this salad all summer long. It uses simple ingredients that I always have on hand, and pairs perfectly with salmon, roasted chicken and steak for a healthy and hearty meal.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
Creamy Cucumber Salad
11 minutes mins
Black Bean and Corn Salad
11 minutes mins
Chickpea Salad with Avocado
11 minutes mins
Cucumber Feta Salad
11 minutes mins
Asian Cucumber Salad
11 minutes mins
Cucumber Tomato Salad Video
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 3 cups sliced cucumbers
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs such as parsley, dill, chives or green onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place the cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper and herbs in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Toss gently to coat. Serve.
- Red, yellow or orange bell peppers work just as well as green bell peppers and add a great burst of color.
- You can use any type of cucumbers you like, but I recommend peeling standard waxy cucumbers and removing the seeds.
- You can use a mandoline to easily and quickly cut your cucumbers and onions into thin slices.
Delicious recipe, perfect for summer. So quick to make and loved the dressing!
I make this salad at least once a week. It is still yummy on the 3rd day. If I use feta I just top it on each portion. Wonderful recipe!
This may be a weird question… why remove the seeds from the cukes?
The seeds tend to make the salad watery!
Great, thank you! Easy and quick this really hits the spot for a healthy late night snack, too.
This salad was so delicious and refreshing
I will make this again and again!!
I make it two ways: as directed, then for a main dish I add my 2 favorite grains, either wheat berries or farro.
I love how refreshing this is!! Can’t wait to give it a try!
I want to dig into this today! I am adding it to my menu for this weekend!
I would love this salad for lunch! It sounds incredibly delicious!!
Such an easy and refreshing salad!! Perfect for summer!! YUM!
This is the best summer salad! So easy and delicious and everyone loves it!
This looks phenomenal and I can tell from the list of ingredients that it’s going to taste as good as it looks, can’t wait to try it!
This cucumber tomato salad is looks incredibly delicious!
I love that this salad is good for more than 1 day. I make it and take it for lunch with a sprinkle of feta cheese!
What can be used in place of the Dijon…. spicy brown? Deli type with horseradish? Why does the recipe say 1 min cook time? Should the cucumbers be peeled?
You can use either mustard! It’s up to you whether you peel the cucumbers. If you use a thin skinned cucumber like an English cucumber it doesn’t need to be peeled. The waxy cucumbers are often better when peeled.
How far in advance can you make this recipe, or should it be made and served immediately?
You can make it up to 8 hours in advance!
Trying it tonight with confetti peppers, a parsley plant I just pulled, garden onions, sun sugar tomatoes and other herb dried and fresh from garden
I just made this cucumber tomato salad this afternoon I have a command as a matter of tomatoes some Jerry but mostly bigger and a lot of cucumbers it’s recipe was easy to put together didn’t take long at all to prepare which makes it cost effective best time in the kitchen
For the herbs I didn’t really have fresh parsley so I used a bunch of Basil and some dried dill I also put in a teaspoon of fresh garlic minced everything else was according to the recipe
I had my husband try it first as he always wants to try new tomato salad with cucumbers before because I’m fine but it’s over vinegar or sugary I was surprised he said it was perfect the first time I’m definitely going to keep this on top of my cucumber tomato salad recipe to go to whenever I need a fast side salad
Thank you for posting such a wonderful recipe
Loved this recipe! My yard is over full with yummy tomatoes!
When making the herb mixure for this salad what are the exact measurements of each herb? I am not good at just “a little bit of this and a little bit of that”. Thank you.
I typically use 1/4 cup of one type of herb, the list is just a suggestion of herbs that would work!