These cream cheese mashed potatoes are boiled potatoes blended with butter, milk, cream cheese and seasonings to make a rich and creamy side dish. The best mashed potatoes you’ll ever eat!
Mashed potatoes come in many different styles, but in my opinion, none of them are quite as delicious as these cream cheese mashed potatoes. This dish is simple to make, and always gets rave reviews. It’s all in that secret ingredient, the cream cheese!
How do you make cream cheese mashed potatoes?
Boil peeled chunks of potato in salted water until they’re tender. Drain the water from the pot, leaving the potatoes in the pot. Pour garlic butter, milk, cream cheese and seasonings into the pot with the potatoes, then mash them until smooth. The finishing touch is a drizzle of butter and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Then you’ll be ready to serve and enjoy!
Tips for the perfect cream cheese mashed potatoes
- The easiest way to mash potatoes is with a potato masher. If you want extra smooth potatoes, you can try pressing your potatoes through a ricer before you add them back to the pot. Another alternative is you can beat your potatoes with a hand mixer.
- Be sure not to mash your potatoes in the food processor. If you try it that way, you’ll end up with really thick potatoes that have an unpleasant texture.
- Cut your potatoes into similar sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- These potatoes can be made up to 2 days in advance and reheated on the stove top or in a covered casserole dish in the oven. You can also freeze the potatoes for up to 2 months.
WHAT IS THE BEST POTATO FOR MASHED POTATOES?
My favorite potatoes for mashing are Russet potatoes because they are high starch potatoes that mash up fluffy and they have great flavor. Yukon Gold potatoes are also a good choice. Avoid waxy potatoes such as red potatoes or fingerling potatoes, as the texture will not be as nice in the finished product.
HOW LONG DO YOU BOIL POTATOES FOR MASHING?
Boil your potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until very tender. You can test your potatoes to make sure they’re ready by pulling one out of the water and piercing it with a knife. If the knife easily goes into the potato, it’s done.
Cream cheese mashed potatoes flavor variations
While this dish is great as-is, feel free to add other flavors to customize it to your family’s tastes.
- Cheese: You can never go wrong by adding even more cheese! Stir in up to 1 cup of shredded cheddar, mozzarella or Monterey Jack to the mashed potatoes. Alternatively you can use 1/2 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese.
- Toppings: Finish off your potatoes with a sprinkling of cooked crumbled bacon for a smoky and savory flavor.
- Flavorings: Amp up your mashed potatoes with add-ins such as basil pesto, smoked paprika, onion powder or seasoned salt.
Once you try these potatoes, you’ll agree that they’re the absolute best around!
More side dishes to savor
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes Video
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 4 lbs Russet potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or sliced chives
- additional butter for garnish optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot.
- Place the butter and garlic in a small bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments until butter is melted.
- Add the melted garlic butter, cream cheese and milk to the pot of potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes until they're smooth and creamy. Stir in the salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley or chives, then serve. Garnish with additional butter if desired.