This Cajun chicken is boneless chicken breasts coated in a homemade spice blend, then baked to tender and juicy perfection. A super easy dinner option that can be paired with a variety of side dishes for a full meal.
When I’m looking for a way to jazz up plain old chicken breasts, I turn to chicken Florentine, cornflake chicken or this zesty Cajun style chicken. All it takes is 5 minutes of prep time for a fabulous dinner!
You can never go wrong with baked chicken because it requires minimal work and can be infused with so many different flavors. This Cajun chicken recipe is full of bold flavors and is great for the whole family!
How do you make Cajun chicken?
This recipe starts with a spice blend that consists of Cajun seasoning, brown sugar and salt. Brush the chicken breasts with melted butter, then sprinkle the spice mix onto both sides of the chicken. Place the chicken in a pan, then bake until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Add a sprinkle of fresh parsley, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect Cajun chicken
- Choose chicken breasts that are approximately the same size so that they cook at the same rate.
- Avoid using chicken breasts that are overly thick, as they will take a lot longer to cook through and will be more prone to drying out.
- Olive oil may be substituted for the butter.
- This baking technique also works well with boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- You can add some vegetables to the pan to cook alongside the chicken. Some of our favorites include carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini.
How to make Cajun seasoning
I like to use my own homemade Cajun seasoning for this recipe, which is a blend of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, thyme and oregano. You can find my Cajun spice recipe here. You can also use store bought seasoning if you’re short on time with great results. My homemade seasoning contains salt, so you won’t need to add a lot of salt to the chicken before you cook it. Some store bought seasonings do not contain salt, so just make sure you check the label so you’ll have an idea as to how much salt to add to your chicken before you bake it.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BAKE CHICKEN BREASTS?
This recipe utilizes a high heat cooking method. Cooking the chicken at a higher heat means it will cook quicker and be less likely to dry out. A standard boneless chicken breast around 4 ounces in size will bake for 18-20 minutes at 425 degrees F.
HOW DO YOU KEEP CHICKEN BREAST JUICY?
The best way to keep your chicken from drying out is to add a little fat to it (melted butter in this case), and cook it at high heat. It’s also important not to overcook your chicken. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before you slice it, this will allow for the juices to redistribute into the meat.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN CAJUN CHICKEN IS DONE?
You can tell when your chicken is done by either cutting into it, or using a meat thermometer. If you slice into the thickest part of the chicken breast, there should be no pink remaining and the juices should be clear. The most accurate way to tell if your chicken is done is to use a thermometer. Insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the breast. The temperature should be at least 165 degrees F to be considered safe to eat.
This Cajun chicken is a great way to liven up dinner time! Add some mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, then watch the rave reviews come in.
More chicken recipes you’ll like
- Greek Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Baked Chicken Wings
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
Cajun Chicken Video
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 4-5 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning homemade or store bought
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brush the butter all over both sides of the chicken.
- Place the Cajun seasoning, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Check to see if your Cajun spice contains salt. If your seasoning does not contain salt, use 1 teaspoon of salt. If your seasoning does contain salt, just add 1/4 teaspoon more of salt.
- Rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Bake the chicken for 18-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a chicken breast registers at least 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.