This recipe for chicken florentine is golden brown chicken breasts, topped with a creamy sauce and served over a bed of spinach. A classic dinner that will have you licking your plate!
I love chicken for dinner as much as the next person, but sometimes it can get a little…boring. I get in a rut and make the same chicken recipes over and over, because it’s just easy that way. But this chicken florentine? Is anything but ordinary. It’s chicken with spinach and mushrooms in the MOST AMAZING white wine cream sauce. It’s sooo good I tell ya!
This chicken florentine is chicken breasts served on a bed of spinach and mushrooms with a creamy white sauce. I like to use thin cut chicken breasts for this recipe, simply because they cook quickly and evenly – some of those giant thick chicken breasts can take ages to cook through. While mushrooms are not a traditional part of this dish, I added them because spinach and mushrooms are a perfect match, especially when coated in cream sauce. The 5-ingredient sauce takes about 5 minutes to make, but tastes like it’s been simmering for hours.
You can serve this chicken florentine as-is for a one pan meal, or boil up a pot of pasta to serve it with. However you serve it, this classic recipe is sure to be a hit!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts I prefer to use thin cut chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons butter divided use
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a large pan. Season the chicken breasts to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Wipe out pan with a paper towel (Optional step if you prefer a white colored sauce; if you choose to leave the butter residue in the pan your sauce will be more of a brown color but still super delicious!)
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the shallot to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes or until just softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the wine to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until wine is reduced by half.
- Stir in the cream and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce has reduced by about half and has started to thicken. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in another pan. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is just wilted, another 2-3 minutes.
- Place the spinach and mushrooms on a serving plate and put the chicken breasts on top.
- Pour the cream sauce over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.