This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
My kids turned up their noses at french fries for the longest time. On their own they eventually came to realize that french fries are delicious. The good thing is that the girls will eat my homemade healthier fries just as happily as the deep fried restaurant version. These bacon wrapped potato wedges are baked, but they absolutely taste like they’ve been deep fried. The wedges are super easy to make and a fun way to liven up your potatoes.
I am not purporting that these bacon wrapped potato wedges are health food, because I don’t think anyone can make an argument that bacon is healthy. But if you’re craving a restaurant style appetizer or just a fun side dish, this recipe will fit the bill. Whole russet potatoes are cut into wedges, wrapped with bacon, seasoned and then baked.
When you bake these fries the fat that the bacon releases as it cooks crisps up the wedges in a major way. I did some plain for my bacon-hater (yes, I have a child who won’t eat bacon) and even her wedges came out super golden and crisp just from the residual bacon fat in the pan.
This recipe works best with thin-cut bacon. I also recommend using a center cut bacon, which naturally has less fat than a standard cut of bacon. There will still be enough fat to crisp the potatoes, but not so much that the potatoes get greasy. These bacon wrapped potatoes scream for a dipping sauce, and what better to dip them in than my homemade ranch?
You definitely need to try these bacon wrapped potato wedges, they’re really not any more difficult than making an oven fry but they’re SO much more flavorful. And if you line your pan with foil, clean up is a breeze! No fryer, no vats of oil boiling at crazy hot temperatures. Just put the pan in the oven and let the bacon do its magic!
Bacon Wrapped Potato Wedges
- 3 large russet potatoes scrubbed
- 9 slices of thin bacon preferably center cut
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- homemade ranch for dipping
- chopped parsley and coarse salt for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil, coat the foil with cooking spray.
- Cut each potato into 6 wedges. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Cut the bacon slices in half crosswise. Wrap each piece of potato with a piece of bacon. Place the bacon wrapped potatoes on the sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and bacon is crispy. Serve immediately with ranch for dipping. Garnish with chopped parsley and coarse salt if desired.
Calorie count assumes potatoes without the ranch. Ranch nutritional information is on that recipe.
More great side dishes: