These green bean fries are fresh green beans coated in seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, then baked to golden brown perfection. A unique and delicious side dish or appetizer that’s easy to make and always gets rave reviews.
I always have a bag of green beans in my fridge. They’re healthy, inexpensive and last a long time. My family always asks for these green bean fries, and I’m happy to oblige. It’s a much healthier way to get that satisfying french fry crunch.
How do you make green bean fries?
Start by preparing three bowls; one with seasoned flour, one with an egg and milk mixture, and one with breadcrumbs, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Dredge the green beans in the flour, then dip them in the egg mix, then finally coat in the breadcrumbs. Place the breaded green beans in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake until the green beans are tender and the crust is golden brown. Serve immediately, with a dipping sauce of your choice.
How to prepare green beans
To get your green beans ready to make fries, all you need to do is give them a good rinse, then trim off the stem ends. The fastest way to remove the stem end is to line up a handful of green beans, then cut the stems off all at once. It makes prep time go a lot quicker. Sometimes you can even buy bags of green beans that have already been trimmed which can save you even more time.
Tips for the perfect dish
- It’s important to bake the green beans in a single layer, otherwise they might steam instead of brown if there’s not enough room for air to circulate.
- I find this recipe works best with fresh green beans, as frozen beans tend to release a lot of water as they cook.
- These green bean fries are best served immediately, as the coating can start to soften after it sits for an extended period of time. If you have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, and reheat in the oven until the coating is crispy.
- I like to eat my green beans with a side of ranch, but other popular options are ketchup or fry sauce.
- While I add a sprinkle of parsley at the end for a little fresh flavor and added color, this is an optional step.
Green bean fries flavor variations
While this recipe is great as-is, you can use different seasonings and coatings to make the dish suit your tastes.
- Seasonings: Feel free to add other herbs and spices such as Italian seasoning, chili powder, lemon pepper or Cajun spice.
- Cheese: Swap out the parmesan for a different finely grated cheese such as aged cheddar or romano.
- Coatings: Substitute part of the Italian breadcrumbs for panko crumbs, crushed buttery crackers or cornmeal.
Green bean fries are a super fun way to serve up veggies. They pair perfectly with roasted chicken, steak or seafood for a memorable meal.
More side dishes to enjoy
Green Bean Fries Video
Green Bean Fries
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Place the flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Place the eggs and milk in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, parmesan cheese and olive oil in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Dredge a few green beans in the flour, then dip in the eggs and roll in the breadcrumbs. Place the breaded green beans in a single layer on the sheet pan.
- Repeat the process until all the green beans are breaded.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until coating is golden brown and green beans are tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired, then serve.