This honey mustard sauce is the perfect blend of sweet, creamy and tangy and takes just 5 minutes to make. Use this versatile sauce as a dip for chicken, french fries and vegetables, or drizzle it over a salad for a memorable meal.
I often make my own condiments as they taste so much better than the store bought variety. I prepare homemade versions of BBQ sauce, ranch dip and honey mustard sauce, and it’s totally worth the little bit of extra effort.
Whenever I go to a restaurant, I order a side of honey mustard sauce if it’s on the menu. It just makes everything taste a little better! I’ve since learning to make this sauce at home, and it couldn’t be any easier. All you need is a handful of ingredients and 5 times of time.
What is honey mustard sauce made of?
This sauce is typically made with a blend of honey, mustard and mayonnaise.There are some variations in terms of the ratios of each ingredient and the types of mustard used. In some cases, other seasonings are also added to the mix. My version of this sauce uses a blend of two types of mustard, as well as some spices for extra kick.
How do you make honey mustard sauce?
Place mayonnaise in a bowl, along with yellow mustard, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt and onion powder. Stir everything together until thoroughly combined. Use the sauce immediately, or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for future use.
Tips for the perfect sauce
- Honey mustard sauce will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up 7 days. I don’t recommend freezing this sauce as it can become watery and separate when thawed.
- While I like to use the two different types of mustard, you can you just one type if that’s all you have on hand. That being said, I think using two varieties of mustard creates a more complex flavor profile.
- Looking to save a few calories? Feel free to use low fat mayonnaise, or a blend of mayonnaise with Greek yogurt or light sour cream.
- Honey mustard sauce is the perfect accompaniment to chicken fingers, burgers, fresh or grilled veggies, fried shrimp and salads. It’s even good with steak or pork chops!
While this sauce is fabulous as-is, you can add other ingredients to the mix to customize it to your tastes.
- Mustard: For a sauce with more texture, use a grainy mustard instead of Dijon. You can also add a kick of heat with a horseradish mustard.
- Seasonings: Feel free to add other spices to the sauce, some ideas include garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, chipotle pepper or even some BBQ spice. For a smoky flavor, add smoked paprika instead of the sweet paprika that’s used in the recipe.
- Heat: If you like spice, stir in some hot sauce or sriracha for a zesty kick.
- Herbs: I love to add fresh herbs to my mustard sauce, try including 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, chives, basil or dill. You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of dried herbs if you don’t have fresh on hand, dried Italian herbs is a great choice.
You simply can’t go wrong with this sauce, it’s always a hit with both kids and adults alike!
More recipes you’ll enjoy
- Cornflake Chicken
- Honey Mustard Salmon
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Homemade Chicken Fingers
Honey Mustard Sauce Video
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.